Flame angel & coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taylor8528

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some coral and looking to get more.... Also looking to get a flame angel. I've read they are known for eating coral..anyone have experience with that?

What type of coral? Most centropyge angels go after lps corals like acans, euphyllia ( hammer, torch, frogspawn), open brains. Anything that is really fleshy. Softies and sps are generally left alone

I have both frogspawn and torch coral in with my flame and he was fine. never even touched it. individual personality does play a part in it as well .

I have both frogspawn and torch coral in with my flame and he was fine. never even touched it. individual personality does play a part in it as well .

Yes it does but when these angels go after coral it is almost always lps corals

Seems that you'll get half saying they never touch and half saying the go after LPS like crazy. It's a coin flip. I don't even think the individual species shows any different behavior.

I had a elbli angel devour a monti in half an hour! So they can go after sps as well!

Of you could get a peppermint angelfish if you really want a red dwarf angelfish :p

I had a flame angel which came with my 2nd hand tank with corals-he was fine -didnt touch them. Nor did the lemon peel, coral beauty or bi colour and people say not to mix them. Maybe I just had enough rocks etc for them to hide

I have a flame angel for over a year and a half now and he killed 4 different acans by nipping/eating them but he hasnt touched anything else thank god so basicly acans are a no no in my tank till this fella is around

As a general rule of thumb, the more reef friendly dwarf angel is the coral beauty. Even these guys can be hit or miss. I currently have one in my 55 reef and, though I have watched him nip at algae near coral and caused them to retract and hide, haven't witnessed them intentionally go after them...this is with him for over a year at this point. It goes to the personality of the fish. Some will go postal on corals while others have no interest. When corals start getting real expensive, their existence becomes more important than a 10 dollar fish and in my personal hindsight, I'd get rid of the coral beauty just for piece of mind in case it loses its mind while I'm at work and can't do anything about it.

I believe some well known reef safe fish can accidentally taste the flesh of soft corals and start to like them. This is what happened to my flower pot coral which had been in my tank for as long as my yellow tang for more than a year. Lately I started to notice a portion of my flower pot closing. Then I saw my yellow tang is nibbling it. So I moved the coral to my 29 gal nano and it flourish again.

Back
Top Bottom