Flame Angel in REEF Tank????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbannie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Found a deal on a flame angel...... I've always wanted one....but it says with caution for a reef tank. What do you guys think? Anyone have one with corals? Are they hard to keep? Suggestions please :)

Found a deal on a flame angel...... I've always wanted one....but it says with caution for a reef tank. What do you guys think? Anyone have one with corals? Are they hard to keep? Suggestions please :)

I have a Lemonpeel angel. He occasionally picks at my softies, but very rarely. I hear it is a 50/50 that your fish will nip your coral. It works for some but not others.

Do you think they would nip at a torch, bubble, or frogspawn? Those are my favorites in my tank!

For me it was a bad deal. It almost wrecked my reef. I had to bit the bullet and take the tank apart to catch him before he did. Sure would hate to see the same happen to you. Eventually it will go after your corals.

I'm starting up my 75G tank now. It's starting off FOWLR, but I do intend on making it a reef eventually. I too was really interested in Flame Angels, but after all my research, my recommendation would be not to get one.

If you read enough testimonials, you see that there seems to be an emerging consensus. There certainly are people who have kept Flame Angels in a reef for an extended length of time without issue. However, there are many more accounts of people who were able to keep one for a while, 1 year, 2 years, and then the Flame Angels suddenly develop a taste for coral, and in some testimonials, they can massacre a tank in a matter of days. The same goes for any other Dwarf Angel, unfortunately.

That said, I would certainly encourage you to get some firsthand stories of people who have kept Flame Angels. I can't speak from experience, so I could only share what I've read online.

Not worth possibly having to take your whole tank apart to fish it out.

I have a lemon peel that doesn't bother any of my corals. The only coral I have in the tank that would matter is a neon green candy cane which will be easy to move. I hand feed him so if there ever comes a time when I up grade or want to get rid of him I shouldn't have to take all the rock out.

oh no! Sounds like a big risk!

I would agree... ive had my lemon peel for over 5 years and just started to go after my ZOAS...

Fire Angle I had for about 6 months before it was killed by my purple lobster :( but did not go after any corals...

Honsetly, you never hear of an old angel in a reef. Some make it a few years but it seems eventually they start tasting things.

I did it.....ordered the flame.......couldn't help myself. Hopefully I'm not headed for a nightmare!

Got the flame today... it's beautiful! So far so good.... my 3 stripe damsel doesn't like it so much, but now he's leaving it alone! Got some new snails, pep shrimp, and an emerald crab too!

Back
Top Bottom