Flame Angel reef safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ttraer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm seriously considering a flame angel for my 75 gal reef tank. I've read mixed reviews on various sites as to their desire to snack on LPS.

Anyone out there have any real world experience with flame angels of coral beauties?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

From everything I've seen there's roughly a 50/50 chance that they will be okay in a reef. Coral beautys have a slightly better reported success rate, I had one myself that was good with corals.

It also helps if you feed them regularly. It's trending among reefers to only feed their fish 2 - 3 times a week. If this is you, then it might not be the best idea to try one. The hungrier they get, the more likely they will go after corals.

I feed small amounts, twice a day.

Thanks, the LFS will, so I think I'll give it a try. Really looking for something to be the "centrepiece" of the tank and make it pop. And both those Angels are beautiful.

Thanks, the LFS will, so I think I'll give it a try. Really looking for something to be the "centrepiece" of the tank and make it pop. And both those Angels are beautiful.

What other fish do you have?

Two ocillarious clowns and their RBTA, a Blackcapped Basslett, a One Spot Foxface, two Carpenter's Wrasses, a Six Spot Goby, and four Blue Green Chromiss'.

My LPS are a frogspswn, torch, and elegance. And a few Zoa colonies.

I have a coral beauty that I feed a frozen "Angel mix" which contains sponge. My LFS recommended it. This fish never snacks on any corals. As was said before, all fish will do and eat what they like. Flames are gorgeous so if you really want one it will be risky. Just keep a few eyes on it!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the info

Flame angel in my 75g mixed reef only goes after Xenia. Everything else is fine...elegance, duncan's, zoas, trumpets, plates riccordeas, monti, pipe organ, leather etc. Try to hide a piece of Xenia in there and it's gone in an hour.

Sent from my iPhone6 using Tapatalk

Flame angels and coral beauty dwarf angels are hit or miss. Some have never had any problems with them. Some go postal instantly on coral. Then there are others who have been successful for years with the same fish, until waking up one day and watching the massacre.
In general, I say that a caution fish such as this should be skipped on. I'd even give up the coral beauty in my reef tank if I could catch it after almost 2 years of being a model citizen went postal on my clams.

Flame angels and coral beauty dwarf angels are hit or miss. Some have never had any problems with them. Some go postal instantly on coral. Then there are others who have been successful for years with the same fish, until waking up one day and watching the massacre.
In general, I say that a caution fish such as this should be skipped on. I'd even give up the coral beauty in my reef tank if I could catch it after almost 2 years of being a model citizen went postal on my clams.
couldnt agree more.

I keep both in my reef tank , if kept well fed they shouldn't be a issue ,
the one fish in your stock list that I'd be cautious about is the basslet he may pick on them
basslets are very aggressive fish and very territorial

I wouldnt consider flames reef safe they like to pick off polyps and disturb trindancid clams.

- I love Mbuna and SA cichlids

My tank is mostly an LPS and softies tank and I've rarely seen the flame Angel nip at any of those. They are a beautiful fish but I don't consider them to be "centerpiece" because, at least in my experience, they don't spend a lot of time in the water column. They prefer to cruise amongst the live rock.

i never had a problem with my flame or coral beauty hiding both swim the whole water column and are very active , a big factor of them hiding is the size of the tank ,the smaller the the tank the more they will hide

Mine is in a 220 gallon tank so that's not it. He doesn't hide but just likes to cruise in and out of the rock (I have a lot of rock caves). As a result, he's not out and swimming to the same extent, as for example, the tangs do.

I have seen my yellow tang started nipping on my flower pot after about a year of being together at the same tank. The coral just slowly deteriorated even after moving it to another tank. While my flame angel has never given me any problem. That being said, I made a conclusion that fish may taste the flesh of soft corals by accident and that's when it starts liking it. Fish like to eat worms and guess what some soft corals are made of?

Back
Top Bottom