Flame angel vs Yellow Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philly

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 90 gallon and i just got a flame angel and my yellow tang seem to be chasing it around the tank!

how do i stop this

should i be worried

No QT for the flame??? The yellow tang is an aggressive fish. Generally, it is best to put those in last. It may just be establishing the pecking order and might quit after a few days. May not. It may actually slowly kill the angel. You might want ot try re-arranging the LR or creating two smaller reefs in the tank so they can each have one. this might help. Lando

Chasing or following? My yellow tang sits at the hip of my trigger almost all day long. Not at all in an aggressive manner either.

Give is a few days. The Flame should hold its own. This is not abnormal, the pecking order needs to be established.

The same thing happened to me, you should see if the tang is trying to smack the angel with its caudal fin, that means it is trying to slice it with the scalpel, otherwise put the tang in QT. If the tang is trying to kill the angel, then you have to remove one, the tang wont stop, when this happened to me, i removed the tang and divided the tank for two days straight, after that i rearranged to rockwork and the tang still harrased the angel.

Basically

Tang is trying to kill angel=remove one

Tang is just pecking at it or harrasing it by shoving it=Rearrange objects that establish territory.

HTH

P.S. The yellow tang is a tang that should be added last to an aquarium and can have a devastating effect on additional fish if added first.

P-MAN

I would like to add they can live together in harmony. I have a yellow and flame in my 75 and they dont seem to be bothered by eachother at all.

Does your tank have ample places where the flame can dart in and hide?

The tail wacking isn't always dangerous. My Yellow and My Maculosus (who is 3 times the size) are constantly dueling tails. It was serious in the beginning, but settled down after a week. A few ragged fins, but no serious injuries.
Its actually kind of funny because they are best buds otherwise now, they even sleep together.
Its almost like a game they play. No scalpel out, no damage.

Back
Top Bottom