Flame Hawkfish and cleaner shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't have either yet but would like both. I've read that the hawk may eat "small shrimp". Is a cleaner considered "small"? Would the two be OK together in a 75?

TIA

All depends on how large/old the cleaner shrimp is. It will more than likely still pester it regardless. I would pick the hawk over the cleaner any day though. Cool fish.

If you are going to buy from petco, please quarantine the fish. There is one 5 miles from here, and they ALWAYS have ich problems. Last week, they werent allowing the sales of SW fish because the fish were so bad with ich. They had big signs saying they were under observation until furth notice. Just FYI.

Thanks, I guess I didn't mean I was going to get the one at Petco - just that I saw one there...
I learned the hard way and always QT now anyway - no matter where I get the fish from.
Our Petco is pretty bad also, the day I saw the hawk they also had 2 yellow tangs - extremely skinny, you could see their rib cage!
My son was going to buy a gourami for his tank but they were covered with ich.

I have never shopped at petco but with all the negative comments I read on here about them I do not understand how they stay in business?

By buddy housed a hawk with cleaners. The key thing is to add the shrimp before the hawk so he doesnt think they are food. They also need to be large shrimp.

I've had a hawk and cleaner living together for about 6 months without incident. The shrimp was there first.

The shrimp cleans the hawk all the time but I have to say that sometimes it perches and just eyeballs him.

Hey thanks everyone. Sounds like *maybe* I can do both. I'll start looking for a larger cleaner...

For the mosty part, fish realize the shtip is a cleaner ...instinct...

Back
Top Bottom