flame scallop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IME, don't do it. They have an almost 100% mortality rate in home captivity, their feeding requirements are very difficult and the plankton you need to feed them can worsen your water quality.
I kept one for about 2 months before it perished....starved.
This is one of those animals that should be on the "do not purchase" list.
To bad, because they are beautiful.

i thought they filtered feed and could be spot feed
They do and you can try. They still do not survive for long though. Search the archives, there have been several discussions about this subject and many experiences are shared.

I agree with quarryshark. I've tried two of them, but they only seem to last a few months. I thought I could target feed, but since they move around, they don't always stay where you can get to them.

Are we talking about the same animal? Flame Scallop (Lima scabra)? Had mine for 5 months and he's doing great. Very easy to care for although, not very exciting. They don't like the bright light and hide behind the rocks.

Once, I saw him fine tune his position by extending his tongue (for lack of the correct term) and pull himself,.. juuust a scosh closer to the rock. Very cool.

As for feeding, oh boy. I thought a "filter feeder" didn't need any :p I didn't feed for two months! In hindsight - this sounds completely impossible, given the previous posts. Today, (mainly because of other corals) I feed DT and cyclop-eeze. He's doing quite well. I must have been awfully lucky. Alllll that ignorance, and he still made it :roll:

Yup. Mine was $5. That's why I figured he would be one of my first inhabitants. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom