Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Flat worms

Yesterday I noticed flatworms in my 40 gallon luckily this is not my reef tank but I do have 2 bta's in there and couple invertebrates with fish what's the best way to get rid of them not resulting to chemicals ?

Old 01-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I had a very nasty infestation a few months back. Other than a fish that eats flatworms then Ibelieve chemicals are the way to go.

I used salifert's flatworm exit. Took 4 treatments to get rid of thousands of them but it worked. It didn't really bother my corals too too much but I did do a water change after each treatment to help.

Good luck!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Does it bother any fish or more delicate invertebrates?
Old 01-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have shrimp, corals and fish in the tank and all did well. You will see the flatworms dying within seconds of adding the flatworm exit. Once a few have died then you put the carbon back into the filter to clean up the toxins that are released from the flatworms when they die. If you follow the directions VERY carefully you should have no trouble. It doesnt say to do a water change but I did them anyways. Figured it couldnt hurt.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #5

I used a Blue Velvet Nudibranch. That's all they eat. But u will probably have to overnight him fm a co. that sells em. Mine cleaned them up. Then I sold him to the LFS which r always looking for them
Old 01-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #6

One other thing. They r beautifully colored Nudibranchs and you'll hate to part with him when u run out of flatworms. U having a 40 gal. It could take some time. But rest assured. They r eating machines. A little slow, but thorough! Guarantee 1 will do it
Old 01-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

LIke Carey I used Flat worm Exit and it worked great. I read that the eggs hatch every 4 days, so I dosed my 54 corner tank & then I dosed a second time 4 days later. POOOF gone! My tank has all sorts of stuff SPS, LPS, inverts, outverts & sea monsters & nothing was harmed.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks everyone I'm probably gonna order some today hopefully I have a good experience with it like everyone else seems to
Old 01-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have some in my tank but just cant make myself use the flatworm exit. Not saying it wont work I`m guess just scared. I have been doing a good job with them just siphoning out what I can.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was VERY worried about using FWE in my tank, I have some sensitive inverts and didn't want to risk it. I also sucked out allot every couple of days but it was for nothing, if it help you to know I used a dose that was big enough for a 120 gallon, and mine is only 70ish gallons including the

Tags
worms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com