Flat worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick93

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday I noticed flatworms in my 40 gallon luckily this is not my reef tank but I do have 2 bta's in there and couple invertebrates with fish what's the best way to get rid of them not resulting to chemicals ?

I had a very nasty infestation a few months back. Other than a fish that eats flatworms then Ibelieve chemicals are the way to go.

I used salifert's flatworm exit. Took 4 treatments to get rid of thousands of them but it worked. :) It didn't really bother my corals too too much but I did do a water change after each treatment to help.

Good luck!

Does it bother any fish or more delicate invertebrates?

I have shrimp, corals and fish in the tank and all did well. You will see the flatworms dying within seconds of adding the flatworm exit. Once a few have died then you put the carbon back into the filter to clean up the toxins that are released from the flatworms when they die. If you follow the directions VERY carefully you should have no trouble. It doesnt say to do a water change but I did them anyways. Figured it couldnt hurt. :)

I used a Blue Velvet Nudibranch. That's all they eat. But u will probably have to overnight him fm a co. that sells em. Mine cleaned them up. Then I sold him to the LFS which r always looking for them

One other thing. They r beautifully colored Nudibranchs and you'll hate to part with him when u run out of flatworms. U having a 40 gal. It could take some time. But rest assured. They r eating machines. A little slow, but thorough! Guarantee 1 will do it

LIke Carey I used Flat worm Exit and it worked great. I read that the eggs hatch every 4 days, so I dosed my 54 corner tank & then I dosed a second time 4 days later. POOOF gone! My tank has all sorts of stuff SPS, LPS, inverts, outverts & sea monsters & nothing was harmed.

Thanks everyone I'm probably gonna order some today hopefully I have a good experience with it like everyone else seems to

I have some in my tank but just cant make myself use the flatworm exit. Not saying it wont work I`m guess just scared. I have been doing a good job with them just siphoning out what I can.

I was VERY worried about using FWE in my tank, I have some sensitive inverts and didn't want to risk it. I also sucked out allot every couple of days but it was for nothing, if it help you to know I used a dose that was big enough for a 120 gallon, and mine is only 70ish gallons including the

Once a few have died then you put the carbon back into the filter to clean up the toxins that are released from the flatworms when they die.

I just want to chime in here, because I don't believe that they are toxic upon death as suggested on some sites. Some people have had issues with crashing their tanks using the product, but I believe its caused by an ammonia spike due to the huge amount of die off.

If you see hundreds in your tank, then there are thousands more hiding. The best bet is to siphon out as many as you can before you treat the tank. This will help to reduce the amount of die off that occurs after treatment, and the resulting ammonia spike.

We used a standard 1/4" tube with the plastic part of a pen attached. (we took the pen apart so we had a rigid tube). We then ran the tube into a fine mesh bag in the sump and started a siphon from the main tank.

This allowed us the ability to spend quite a bit of time sucking them out off the rocks, sand and even floating in the water column without losing any water.

Once we got as many as we could see, we treated the tank as instructed. They start to die immediately, and we started the process of siphoning out the dead ones as they started to float. After the specified duration of time, we added carbon, did a water change and nothing seemed affected by the process.

It took us 3 or 4 treatments to rid the tank as well. We tried a nudi and a wrasse before biting the bullet. I believe flatworm exit is the real way to go to fix the problem.

HTH.

I have some in my tank but just cant make myself use the flatworm exit. Not saying it wont work I`m guess just scared. I have been doing a good job with them just siphoning out what I can.

Really nothing to be scared of.

Follow the instructions and manually remove as many as you can see and you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom