Flatworm Photos/Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndyH5512

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can someone please post a photo of a flatowrm? Also, what are the results of infestation, and what is the best way to rid them? TIA.

Andy

Andy, check out the ID thread, there are all kinds of different flatworms and thisg that eat them. There was a post last week with a pic of some flatworms. I don't have time to dig for it this week,as I am in training and squeezing this in on a break. Sorry I couldn't have been of more assistance.

They dont hurt anything, just look bad.....

I syphon them out during water changes with an air hose. This will supply sufficient control.

I havent found anything besides nudi's that eat them, and good luck getting one and better luck keeping it alive!

I agree with mike, there are some that a re not good. I believe some wrasses might eat certian species (I think).

Flat worm eXit works pretty well too if you want to go the chemical route. I've heard of mandarins eating them also.

Many fish will eat them, but only so many at a time. Think of eating peppers... two or three jalapenos may be feasible, but not all day long. What if they are habaneros?!?
Pseudocheilinus sp., Anampses sp., Synchiropus sp., Pterosynchiropus sp. (only one... splendens) and Pseudochromis sp. will all graze at them some.
If you are dosing iodide, you are encouraging them. If your lights produce too much red spectrum, this will encourage the photosynthetic species of flatworms.
They do not appreciate inane amounts of current.

flatworm_vacuum.jpg

The flatworm vaccum is by far the best/fastest method of removal...they come right off the rocks.

Do not use flatworm eXit.....they can poison your tank if there are too many when you treat. Removal is the best method....when in small numbers, they are supposed to add to the cleanup crew;

YOU HAVE TO READ THIS: So funny Quote from Bostonreefers.org (My reef club) a user named "one eye"

"One Eye has done battle with the evil Red Planarian before. He knows he needs to at least triple the recomended dosage of Flatworm Exit. He has a Maxi-Jet 600 equiped with flex hoses for the intake and outlet. He has attached a knee high nylon, color "nude", to the outlet hose. He fires up the Maxi-Jet, uses the flex hose to reach into hard to get spots, sucks up as many of the low life Red Planarian as he can. Pauses, removes the flex hoses from the Maxi-Jet, uses the powerhead to blow water into caves, nooks, crannies, and behind all the rock work. Reattaches the hoses and dives back into the tank to suck up more of the vermon.
Feeling comfortable that he's removed as many nasty little flatworms as possible he shakes the tube of Flatworm Exit (just in case it needs it), he poors 3 cap fulls into a high flow area of the tank (right in front of the return), that is enough treatment for a 270 gallon system(going into a 90 gallon system) looks at the remaining Flatworm Exit. Not much left in that little tube. Says F it and squeezes the rest out. 300 gallon treatment into a 90 gallon system.
The flatworms begin to die off almost immediatly, ignoring the instructions One Eye skipps the carbon for now and reaches back into the tank with his trusted Maxi-Jet firmly in his hands. Hundreds of dead and dieing flatworms are floating through the water, thier dead stinking carcasses are gettting hung up on strands of coral slime (green slimer really slimed!!) He uses the powerhead to suck up as many of the dead little b*stards as he can. He removes the hoses and blows treated water into every nook and cranny, waits, looks, reattaches the hoses and sucks out some more dead flatworms. Now, wait...wait...hold...now! The time is right, add the carbon to the sump!
The tank looks pretty clear, the fight stirred up some sand, but it's settleing down. The powerhead and nylon sock (nude) seemed to have worked very well at capturing the distugting little *&^%$#!
One Eye heads to the shower (it was really pretty gross) washes up, puts on his sweats and fur slippers. He takes a seat next to the tank and has a smoke while looking at the now Red Planarian free tank. He's pleasently surprised that his sps are opening their polyps, feather dusters are fully open, fish are completely unaffected, and pods are doing...well...what pods do. The clams are happy as clams, the crabs are trying to yank the snails out of their shell, and the snails are trying not to let the crabs pull them from their shells.
For the flatworms, the body count is in the hundreds, possibly thousands. The dead have been layed in a mass, pantyhose, grave.
All looks peaceful.......for now!"

Back
Top Bottom