Flatworms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

riptide

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am preparing a 55gallon refugium for my new 150gal tank and have noticed an infestation of flatworms in the fuge... The 150 is not up and running yet, and I suspect the flatworms came in on some Caulerpa I seeded the fuge with. The tanks will exchange water in a mixing sump of 37gallons with the overflow from both tanks dropping through a 100 micron filter sock so I dont think the will make it into my large tank.. I have designed the sump to provide 100% water exchange between the tanks while retaing the ability to run at dfiffering flow rates...

Do I need to be concerned with the flatworms in the fuge??? Is there an animal other than a cuke that feasts on this ugly creature???

According to the Oceanographic Series book on inverts the “Head Shield Nudibranch” (Chelidomura) loves eating flat worms. But you’d have to make sure your “infestation” sustained itself at least a little bit because that’s all they eat. The book also warns that they are easily harmed by intake tubes. They are fairly attractive looking IMHO. In my tank, I have a 6 line wras that seems to keep them under control. I sometimes see them in the fuge, but have watched him eat the only ones I have ever seen in the main tank.

Back
Top Bottom