Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-30-2003, 08:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, I spent about 2 hours today just staring at my new nudi, the thing is really cool! The thing is though, I really like them, and want to get different kinds for my 5.5. 3 species I want only eat flatworms, and I dont have any of those. I am wondering what the big problem with flatworms is. Can I introduce these flatworms to my tank, let them reproduce for a few weeks, and then get the nudis, or do flatworms eat fish and crabs and stuff. Please just let me know

If you don't love what you do, you'd better find something else to love. Otherwise, you don't have a reason for living.
-Ray B.
d9hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 03:18 PM   #2
While I would not completely discourage what your going to attempt, it will not be all that easy. You should also determined a sufficient replenishment source of flatworms should the nudi eat all the ones you have.

The >>Chelidonura varians<< as you've already said, only eats flatworms. Depending on the flatworms/planaria that you get, they should not be of concern to the fish or mobile inverts in the tank. They can be an unsightly mass once they get going but are rarely deadly to anything including the corals they may attach to.

The main thing to worry about with planaria is if the colony crashes 'en mass, they will poison the tank much the same way a "cuke nuke" would. They have toxins in their body that will be released when they die and if sufficient number...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com