Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Flatworms and a Wrasse :-)

So I am facing another bout of flatworms in my 125g tank. :-( I was thinking rather than nuking the tank with flatworm exit like I have in the past maybe to get a wrasse like a sixline. I have more than enough room for another fish and I figure he can keep up on the flatworms so I won't have to dose anymore. Seems the flatworms come back after a few months so it might be a recurring thing.

What do you guys think? I have not gotten a critter yet for a problem and wasn't sure if I should now. I have a sixline in my 90g and he's cool enough so that got me to thinking. lol

Are the sixlines the only wrasses that eat them and if not what other wrasses will?

Thanks for any help you can give me guys, i appreciate it!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

Melanurus wrasse has worked out well in my tank. Great color.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Carey, I love the 6 line wrasse. Although I am new to salt water. My 6 line is probably my favorite fish. I caught him picking at a bristle worm this morning. He seems to enjoy all the hitch hikers on my LV!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Do all wrasses eat flatworms? And if I got a sixline would it for sure eat them? Or is it hit or miss like with peppermint shrimp and aipastia?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

They dont all eat flatworms. I know alot of the coris wrasses eat them, sixline wrasses eat them, you can try a mandarin. Its always hit or miss sometimes they eat them and other times they wont go near them. U can get a sixline, yellow coris wrasse, radiant wrasse. Just be careful with some of the coris wrasses they can get destructive when they get large. I had a sixline but he got very aggressive so i had to take him out. I have 7 wrasses in my tank and 2 or 3 of them spend all day looking around the rocks to feed.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have 2 wrasses in my fowlr tank, a sixline, yellow coris and red coris. Still small though so not too bad yet. lol

So you think a sixline would be a good choice? It's a reef tank so it must be reef safe.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a 6 line and it ate my flatworms off my trumpet before they spread and recently I've had a few pyramid snail pop up that he's ate , but it also likes nipping at both of my toadstools and it hates my mandarin constantly chasing him.. Can't get the little guy out yet... Maybe u will have better luck

Tags
flatworm, wrasse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com