Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-13-2005, 07:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Flatworms out of control

I have flatworms every where, I used Flatworm Exit and it worked, but some corals got stressed and so did some of my fish. Is there any other way to get rid of them, And can they be dangerous.

Ada Caro
adacaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have heard that the six line wrasse has been known to eat worms and other unwanted things in the tank. I am actually thinking about "renting" one from the LFS to eat some isopods in my nano.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
If the population is exploding that means they have too much to eat. Try to cut back on feedings or carefully target feed. Every reef has flatworms, the goal is control. When I had an outbreak a few months back I would siphon out as many as I could nightly with an airhose. There are still a few hanging around if your look closely enough. Chemical usage would be my last resort.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I woudl be careful using flatworm exit if you have a large amount. A lot of them if not all contain a posion and if you kill too many at once you risk killing everything else in your tank...I've heard to happen to more than a few people.

I would try to siphon them with an airline hose, reduce feeding, increase flow if possible(they tend to gather in areas of low flow) and as a last resort flat worm exit. Some kinds of flatworms are actually quit harmless to corals.

There is also a type of nudibranch that eats flatworms, we call them blue velvet nudibranch but I"m not sure if that's the real name. They are black w/ neon blue and white lines. I've also seen six line wrasses, mandarins, and another type of green wrasse w/ two black spots on it's back(not sure of the name) eat flatworms.

jamal-188 is offline   Reply With Quote

control, flatworm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com