Flatworms out of control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adacaro

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have flatworms every where, I used Flatworm Exit and it worked, but some corals got stressed and so did some of my fish. Is there any other way to get rid of them, And can they be dangerous.

I have heard that the six line wrasse has been known to eat worms and other unwanted things in the tank. I am actually thinking about "renting" one from the LFS to eat some isopods in my nano.

If the population is exploding that means they have too much to eat. Try to cut back on feedings or carefully target feed. Every reef has flatworms, the goal is control. When I had an outbreak a few months back I would siphon out as many as I could nightly with an airhose. There are still a few hanging around if your look closely enough. Chemical usage would be my last resort.

I woudl be careful using flatworm exit if you have a large amount. A lot of them if not all contain a posion and if you kill too many at once you risk killing everything else in your tank...I've heard to happen to more than a few people.

I would try to siphon them with an airline hose, reduce feeding, increase flow if possible(they tend to gather in areas of low flow) and as a last resort flat worm exit. Some kinds of flatworms are actually quit harmless to corals.

There is also a type of nudibranch that eats flatworms, we call them blue velvet nudibranch but I"m not sure if that's the real name. They are black w/ neon blue and white lines. I've also seen six line wrasses, mandarins, and another type of green wrasse w/ two black spots on it's back(not sure of the name) eat flatworms.

HTH,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom