Flea like creatures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonez

Aquarium Advice Regular
in my saltwater tank, I just checked it, and they're ALL over!, they look like minuature shrimp, or mantis shrimp, my star polyp has shrivled up, and I'm thinking they may be the culprit... who knows - please give me some links to infestation creatures that are harmful to the tank. Thank you.

Derrick

They are probably just beneficial and harmless copepods. Are they really really tiny? Mantis shrimp are huge in comparison to pods and you will never find many in one tank.

As to why your polyps haven't opened, what kind of light/flow do you have? And how new/old are they in your tank?

melosu58 said:
I agree that they are most likely pods. I see them in my tanks also. Your fish should take care of them. As far as the star polyps can you post some water test results so we can check them out? Here is a link to what they probably are.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rs/index.php

It is definitely a Gammaridean amphipod.

The star polyps have been in the tank for about 6 months, and just recently closed - I only have 2 clowns in my 40 gallon 24x24in tank - I have about 60 lbs of LR and LS but the clowns don't eat the amphipods...is there a small fish that will?

I have 2x65watt Power Compact ORBIT lights I have 3 powerheads , water flow is not violent , but it is definitely great.

Dragonets, wrasses, Hawkfish and seahorses in a species only tank come to mind.

Bonez said:
the clowns don't eat the amphipods...is there a small fish that will?
In addition to the fish Melosu mentioned, gobies and especially psuedochromis will pick them off. Keep in mind having a lot of amphipods is generally not a negative. It's actually beneficial in that they do a great job at cleaning up all those little cracks and crevices snails and hermits can't. Pods also provide a natural food source for some corals when they reproduce.

The star polyps have been in the tank for about 6 months, and just recently closed
Have you checked all your water params- SG, temp (w/ lights on and off), Ph, Alk, nitrite, NO3? Do you do regular PWC's?

I happened in here to be nosey, but that link at the top with the good and bad reef hitchhikers is awesome. I just saved it as a favorite. Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have anything else similar to that link?

Back
Top Bottom