Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2003, 05:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

floating anenome

I have a sebae anenome which i've had for a couple of months now. It still hasn't found a resting place. It's never attached to anything in my tank and some mornings i find it on its face in the sand. Is there anything i can do to help it find it's place?

Old 04-12-2003, 05:48 PM   #2

oh, and another thing. what and how is the best way to feed an anenome? I've heard many different things and i want to find out the right way to do it without disturbing them too much.

Old 04-12-2003, 05:54 PM   #3

I use a piece of fresh fish or shrimp and place it as close to the center disk as possible and it grabs it and eats. One thing though, if it isn't hungry, or doesn't like the choice of food, it will spit it back out...

You can try to wedge it carefully where you want, it may attach there. Most times they will just find a spot sooner or later that they like, and settle down. How much flow do you have? It may not like the current conditions. I think they prefer a low flow..Maybe some of the more experienced will comment...
Old 04-12-2003, 10:42 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Sebaes are notoriously difficult to keep in captivity. It may have been injured during collection, damaging it's foot. In that case it may not attach until it is healed. Unforturnately it may not survive that long. It is my opinion that Sebaes should not be purchased. I suggest a tank raised bubble tip if this one doesn't make it.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:23 PM   #5

do they attach to a rock or do they like to lay on the sand? When I bought it, it was in a tank flush to the sand like it's foot buried in the sand. it's doing well and i've had it for several months now but it just hasn't found its spot . that's all.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:38 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
How deep is your sand? Perhaps it is not deep enough to sufficiently bury it's foot. It will either attach to a buried rock or reach all the way down to the glass. Moving around the tank means it has not found a suitable environment. Try changing the water flow pattern or providing an overhang for protection from strong currents.

Tags
anenome, floating

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com