Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer View Post
Sorry to hear about your husband, I'm an electrician and have been shocked a number of times, never fun. I would think adding a barrier would be best. Off the top of my head I'm thinking that some egg crate made into an L shape would work best. Basically adding an additional weir in front of the main one. Egg crate is cheap and found at any hardware store (often under the name of flourescent lighting diffuser) it can be super handy to have around. After typing this I am somewhat curious how one nem was able to slow the flow enough to cause a flood. The weir should be able to handle restriction or blockage. I'm suspecting the return should be turned down some and that would help this issue. If not then resort to building a primary weir, that way if the nem blocks part of it there is still more than enough flow through the rest that it won't be a problem.

Thanks. Will have to read over this a few times to get my head around how it will work with my tank. Will post some pics of the set up. Being a smaller tank makes it more difficult. Was thinking that I should consider a canister filter?
He went to hospital and was advised he suffered some muscle damage to the heart so it was a pretty bad shock after all. Scary.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
That is scary. Perhaps some type of plastic mesh or grate to keep the anemone or other inhabitants from blocking the overflow. Maybe install a second overflow for piece of mind.
Thanks- Hubby was saying the same however we still need to consider a plan to address Ingy's 2nd point.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Return and weir
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1733.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	196260   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1745.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	196261  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1741.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	196262   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1739.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	196263  

Old 09-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

With that converted wet/dry sump design, one thing you might be able to do to reduce the amount of water that can pump out is to raise the return pump. As to the burn out question, yes it will burn out if the DT (Display Tank) stops syphoning water to the sump. But a new pump is probably cheaper than a new carpet and cieling for the apartment downstairs.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You really have to have gfi in all your wall outlets that your reef uses. Unplugging wet arcing plug while sanding on wet carpet is a sure way to get electrocuted, of stop your heart
Old 09-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Actually, if all your aquarium outlets are on the same circuit, you only need one GFCI outlet on the outlet closest to the breaker/fuse box. All outlets downstream on that circuit will be protected by that single GFCI.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYQM View Post
Actually, if all your aquarium outlets are on the same circuit, you only need one GFCI outlet on the outlet closest to the breaker/fuse box. All outlets downstream on that circuit will be protected by that single GFCI.
True, but if the one fails, then you are completly unprotected
Old 09-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not sure what a GFCI or GFI is but by the way it is used in your comments it sounds like a circuit breaker or power surge protector ? The power board had a surge protector but didn't work. I turned off the main power to the power board which was connected by an extension lead. Hoping there is not a next time but if there is, I will be going straight to the wall plug (which is well away and dry) to turn off the power.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
With that converted wet/dry sump design, one thing you might be able to do to reduce the amount of water that can pump out is to raise the return pump. As to the burn out question, yes it will burn out if the DT (Display Tank) stops syphoning water to the sump. But a new pump is probably cheaper than a new carpet and cieling for the apartment downstairs.

Ahhhhh good idea!!!! Thanks! Fortunately we are on a concrete slab so no damage underneath- just need to get carpets cleaned again if the residue salt discolors.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
You really have to have gfi in all your wall outlets that your reef uses. Unplugging wet arcing plug while sanding on wet carpet is a sure way to get electrocuted, of stop your heart

Yep...learned the hard way but at least his heart is still ticking

Tags
flood, hare, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com