Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
Any hardware store in Sydney that sells any electrical supplies will sell GFI/GFCI outlets or CBs. A GFCI CB (curcuit breaker) is by far more reliable but 5 times the price. A wall outlet with GFI will run around $20-30 and can be easily swapped. Worth the money. And yes, you'll have them down under, Oz isn't THAT backwards!
Thanks again Ingy. PS It's 'down (under)' not 'back(wards)' lol I don't care about the cost...I think we are paying far more for fish and corals than you guys from what I am seeing posted. Spending $$ on safety is a must.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

My bad. ATO = Automatic Top Off
Stay safe!

Old 09-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have experienced similar problem before. When my feet gets wet due to flooding from tank water overflowing, I would get this shock when touching any stuff in my tank. This shock is caused by the stray voltage sipping out from the low quality of wire insulation (flat cords) of power heads. I decided to use the GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) for my own protection. However, it created a different problem. Once in a while the GFCI would trip on its own even if I am away from my tank. Theoretically, this should never happen since the tank is isolated from ground and there is no path for current to flow to ground to trip it. After resetting the GFCI everything would work again but only for a few days. It could be just a faulty GFCI but I removed it to prevent a different kind of disaster. I now use a Grounding Probe only whenever I work on my tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

My Radions trip the GFCI so I have them on a separate circuit. Seemed to only happen when they switched from day to night mode.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Personally I would avoid using a GFCI, ground probe or any sort of interrupter. A ground probe used only to dicipate induced voltage only when working in the tank is ok in my mind but leaving it in the tank will provide a path to ground and this will complete the "circuit" which can be bad if equipment fails. As for GFCI devices I avoid them solely for the fact of if they trip then they turn whatever is run off them off. If a person where to run the majority of things off a GFCI but leave their return pump and a powerhead on non GFCI controlled powerhead at least you get flow if the GFCI trips. As I said personally I don't use them, if there is something in the tank to trip the GFCI I will know when I stick my hand in and get zapped then I find the problem and eliminate it.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

Could you not install a baffle in your sump to limit the amount of water that will pump... Basically create a fairy small chamber that the pump resides in?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeYQM View Post
My Radions trip the GFCI so I have them on a separate circuit. Seemed to only happen when they switched from day to night mode.

My iron tripped the power this morning and we went running to the power box to switch it back on before any more disasters. Iron is in the bin
Old 09-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztkirkpatric View Post
Could you not install a baffle in your sump to limit the amount of water that will pump... Basically create a fairy small chamber that the pump resides in?
I posted earlier pics of the sump set up. I think it's quite small as it is? Ingy suggested raising the pump which is a good idea longer term. I am thinking of adding a canister filter to get the biological filtration sorted as well as a HOB protein skimmer so I can turn the sump off when I go overseas in 5 weeks. I will have peace of mind then.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI68 View Post
My iron tripped the power this morning and we went running to the power box to switch it back on before any more disasters. Iron is in the bin
During summer, airconditioners take most of the load. When you use microwave, electric range and other gadgets it contributes to overloading. This is a different case, since the GFCI only trips one particular electrical outlet. Poor innocent iron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flood, hare, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com