Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Flooding drama- had to share

Advice on sump needed.
Woke up at 4.15am with my hubby yelling as the tank was overflowing from the top at a a rapid speed and the sump was being drained. Confused and rushing ( beige carpet in a rental ) I turned off the individual power points and this stopped more water emptying. Carpets FLOODED. Why? We checked the system, the overflow was still in position...why? Culprit found- The anemone decided to sit over the top of the PVC weir and blocked it off so the sump backed up into the tank

Meanwhile, hubby yells after I hear a buzzing noise and got electrocuted while pulling the plugs out- oops. Didn't turn off the power at the wall

A bit concerned now that if I am at work or go away for a weekend etc, this cheeky anemone may decide to climb back up to the top of the weir for a look around.

Am I able to turn off the sump for an amount of time and rely on live rocks and the wave makers for filtration? I think this tank is taking over my life - not like my cichlids lol

PS. Hubby is ok. Felt a bit sick as the shock went through to his chest but was still a trooper and continued to help clean up. Ever the more cautious to touch the plugs though ...

Old 09-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry this is a scary story.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Maybe you could build something I block it off by using pieces of plastic with holes in it ?
Old 09-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

That is scary. Perhaps some type of plastic mesh or grate to keep the anemone or other inhabitants from blocking the overflow. Maybe install a second overflow for piece of mind.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Sorry to hear about your husband, I'm an electrician and have been shocked a number of times, never fun. I would think adding a barrier would be best. Off the top of my head I'm thinking that some egg crate made into an L shape would work best. Basically adding an additional weir in front of the main one. Egg crate is cheap and found at any hardware store (often under the name of flourescent lighting diffuser) it can be super handy to have around. After typing this I am somewhat curious how one nem was able to slow the flow enough to cause a flood. The weir should be able to handle restriction or blockage. I'm suspecting the return should be turned down some and that would help this issue. If not then resort to building a primary weir, that way if the nem blocks part of it there is still more than enough flow through the rest that it won't be a problem.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

In designing the sump systems, there are 2 CRITICAL things you must consider.
1. Power loss. until the tank stops draining, the sump MUST be able to take all the overflow and backflow water without overflowing.
2. If the overflow stops for any reason, and the sump continues to return water, your DT MUST be able to handle all the extra water, until the return pump pumps the return section dry and burns out.
You have a planning issue with the second consideration. Even after you fix the anemone issue, you should really lower your DT level to prevent overflows.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

#2 is an issue I had not thought about. Good advice as I am getting ready to set up my 240g..,I was more worried about the sump being large enough.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
In designing the sump systems, there are 2 CRITICAL things you must consider.
1. Power loss. until the tank stops draining, the sump MUST be able to take all the overflow and backflow water without overflowing.
2. If the overflow stops for any reason, and the sump continues to return water, your DT MUST be able to handle all the extra water, until the return pump pumps the return section dry and burns out.
You have a planning issue with the second consideration. Even after you fix the anemone issue, you should really lower your DT level to prevent overflows.
Hi Ingy- we faced two flooding problems when we were setting up when I turned off the sump to feed ( I thought I read this ) The sump overflowed and we soon worked out what levels we required for this.
Your 2nd point though I am unsure of. DT? Is that the main tank? So are you saying my water levels for my main tank should be low enough to cope with the sump water being returned? Being only 2ft x 2ft x 1.5ft the levels would be quite low however this was the problem we faced yesterday. Wouldn't the return pump still burn out anyway?
Old 09-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaClown View Post
Sorry this is a scary story.
Yes it was - lots of panic and confusion at the time and then wariness to sleep last night
Old 09-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishlover3578 View Post
Maybe you could build something I block it off by using pieces of plastic with holes in it ?

Hi It has a piece over it which looks like a bio ball but he had knocked that off and totally blocked it. Will post pics of the set up.

Tags
flood, hare, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com