Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Florida and lionfish

what's going on in Florida reefs ? I hear lionfish are destroying the reefs but I dont understand why or how. can someone please explain.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lions are invasive and thought to be introduced from a hurricane a while ago from hobbyists and the aquarium I believe.

It's thought it was a few and now it's a A LOT(don't know real estimation). They originated from the indo-pacific and have no predators and nothing has evolved defense mechanisms because they didn't evolve there with the natural life.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
Lions are invasive and thought to be introduced from a hurricane a while ago from hobbyists and the aquarium I believe.

It's thought it was a few and now it's a A LOT(don't know real estimation). They originated from the indo-pacific and have no predators and nothing has evolved defense mechanisms because they didn't evolve there with the natural life.
I've watched a documentary on this and the divers said the reefs used to be "flooded" with fish and it's visibly less to the naked eye now compared to what it once was
Old 12-11-2012, 03:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

People in Florida had aquariums out on theirs deck and when a hurricane came threw they didn't bring them inside and I read that three escaped and stayed around the area for awhile then when they out grow their living environment thy let them loose in the ocean
Old 12-11-2012, 04:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

In west palm they are actually training groupers and Goliath groupers to eat them it's slowly working. Officials tell people If you see a lion fish kill on site and they pay for whatever gets brought in. Lol
Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

They are actually holding lion fish tournements locally in the area I live. Last time I went flounder gigging, we stabbed 2 lions. We are seeing them in the Indian River Lagoon, which isn't a reef and they are gobbling up all the juvenile fish in our estuaries. If not controlled they are going to wipe us out of our native fish like snook, spotted sea trout and many more fish. I heard they are good to eat also, just a PIA to fillet.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

+1 they are invading all the inter-coastal waters pretty much eating everything they come across and multiplying like rabbits.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The lionfish in Florida is a great example of why animals should never be released into any habitat but their natural one. Sometimes this is accidental, but just as often it's intentional. Like the cane toad in Australia.
Anywho, as stated already, they're breeding like rabbits in the absence of natural predators, and consuming everything they can fit in their capacious maws. Reefs are just as dependent on fish as fish are on the reef. Remove all the native fish, and the reef will die.
Even large fish are at risk from the lions because the young are bite sized.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Same with Georgia as well

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
bigbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDracor View Post
The lionfish in Florida is a great example of why animals should never be released into any habitat but their natural one. Sometimes this is accidental, but just as often it's intentional. Like the cane toad in Australia.
Anywho, as stated already, they're breeding like rabbits in the absence of natural predators, and consuming everything they can fit in their capacious maws. Reefs are just as dependent on fish as fish are on the reef. Remove all the native fish, and the reef will die.
Even large fish are at risk from the lions because the young are bite sized.
And because larger fish are getting out competed for food. Lionfish eat non stop

Tags
lionfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com