Florida Beaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
$7 is cheap when you consider the time and $gas$ you would spend doing it. A walk on the beach would be nice though. :D

i agree...its such a long list. even though i can simply walk out into my "backyard" and collect for my aquarium i dont. its just "safer" to puchase from your LFS and not take the risk of bringing in pests or having the coral/fish die due to the change. JMO

Interesting. I agree wit heverybody.

I do have some questions in a moral/logical/varied sense. In a way if you were to start your tank on corals that you picked up by hand it could be interesting. Dealign with them and providing the required care could be very interesting and fun for some people that enjoy that sort of thing.

I also understand that shorlies are polluted to a higher degree than many of the coral reefs in around the islands of the worls. But I reealyl wonder how much more polluted they are and if it would really impack the species. I mean Florida is probably much more clean than NJ or NY. And well if you took coral or fish or whatever from it and put it in a tank that had pristine conditions I would think it would do better.

Also everything we put in our tank came from the wild. Weaterh it bee off the cost of Florida or from soem Island someplace. It all started i nthe ocean. Some people not grow frags and ssell them outside of the natural sea. But the way I it i had to come from the ocean to start. Not that we shoudl continue to depleate the coral reefs by taking stuff rom them.

Ok I am done my rant. I don't beleive any of that stuff jsut fealt like writing and I had some diariaa of the mouth.

All I know to say is frag...frag...frag... One day probably sooner than you think. Everything in the hobby will be tank raised. :?

jasno999 Has a point but to me the lfs arent helping the ocean , they buy livestock that other people get from the ocean or rip from the reefs , these fishes inverts and corals get ripped from their home and put into a little tank, LFS 's shouldnt buy wild caught fish etc and sell them at a higher price , they should make everything captive bred , all they care about is money , also if they cared so much they would make prices reasonable instead of selling fish for $150 , if the fish is so rare then why take it from the ocean?

It seems, breeding tank fish would be cheaper, ie; they get more offspring....and don't have to pay for shipping....

Captive breeding is not easy and has only been successful for a handful of species. In time hobbyists will probably find methods to successfully breed more species in captivity.

Back
Top Bottom