Florida Beaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tito2491

Aquarium Advice Freak
I live in Ft.Lauderdale Florida and live about 30 min away from the beach and about 5 hours away from the keys, I know about the laws of taking fish and etc but has anyone in Florida get something from the beaches? And where are good spots ?

Sorry to be a so called "Criminal" :roll: , I dont want fish,lr,ls or any thing like that but only would like to possibly if there are, bring some small hermits go in my reef aquarium cuz here they are $2-3 bucks for 1 and I need about 10.

Sorry to be a so called "Criminal"
Tell it to the judge :lol: Keep in mind that the coast has tons of pollution. Know that collection cup on your skimmer? That is the surf we walk in. :| If you do get them I would definitely QT. Also be aware that you are not getting the standard blue, red hermits stores sell. Be aware their diet may include something you want to keep.

You probably right , "tell it to the judge" wow your funny :roll: , Im not going to take wildlife from its habitat , I love animals and wouldnt want to hurt them , sorry 4 even bringing it up

Well, if you want to get technical, unless you ONLY buy tank-bred fish and tank-bred corals, you are taking wildlife from its' natural habitat. The vast majority of fish we buy for our saltwater tanks were snagged from the ocean...:)

Paul

As pkremer said it is next to impossible to not remove animals from their "home". I just wanted to let you know what you may run into if you get them. I am sure it is done a lot. You are not a criminal I am just picking with you. Besides there are no judges on here. :wink:

i live in fla and if u get a fla fish regulation chart it will tell youwhat you can and can not take.
Also google for fla wild life and game. same place you buy a fishing lic from

I just found some cheap hermits at 10 for $7 , I know it was stupid to even bring it up , The ocean might bring diseases to my tank, Law Problems and etc , Sorry to bring it up :)

The only thing I’ve ever taken from nature is a 3” blue crab which I “caught” while fishing for catfish out of my back yard. They are brackish and native to VA. I had a 100 gal cichlid tank set up with mature 7+” fish and after QT the crab he lived in my tank for 4 years till I moved and let him go in the river behind my house again.

About the only reason I did it was because I’ve always wanted one and because it’s not something the lfs carries ;)

Besides shells as Jermz79 said I’d much rather trust the stock from my lfs then what I’d find at the beach. Plus most of the stock that is pulled from the ocean is in much more nutrient free/cleaner waters then what FL has.

While you are at it you can stop in the Everglades and pick out some rare and endangered orchids...

i live in miami but my parents live in the Keys, Islamorada in fact. and there are many zoo's and ricordea's in my "backyard". with a recreational fishing license you can harvest (to a limit) quite a few things. no stony corals, no Gorgonia ventalina or Gorgonia flabellum, no more than 6 octocorals per day, but other than that there is a lot you can collect with a recreational fishing license. and yes you can collect hermits there are tonns of the blue legged hermits in my parents beach.

heres a link to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission on what you can/cant take.

http://myfwc.com/marine/recreational/recharvestmls.htm

HTH

What are the laws exactly. People go to the beach in NJ all the tiem and collect things like shells and rocks. Nobody ever seems to get in trouble for that. But I bet if you when up with a 5 gallon bucket and filled it with sand they woudl have an issue.

Where do you draw the line?

Tito: You could go to the beach and get hermits etc and you will probably never hear a thing about it. It is when you have the truck backed up with coolers and buckets and are collecting buckets full that you will get in trouble. Pearsont said he/she had done it and they do not last long. If you do it I would do a really loooooooong acclimation and QT them for around 8 weeks just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom