Florida Crushed Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpdt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Will 55 lbs. of Florida Crushed Coral be enough to buffer the pH in a 75 gal tank ?

mpdt said:
Will 55 lbs. of Florida Crushed Coral be enough to buffer the pH in a 75 gal tank ?

What kind? The Carib Sea "Geo-Marine" is the only cc with argonite, which will give you the best buffering.

Edit: Hey, I just noticed, I'm a "freak" now.

Yes, I will be getting the Caribe Sea brand from Big Al's online. Is 55 lbs. enough for a 75 gal tank ?

mpdt said:
Yes, I will be getting the Caribe Sea brand from Big Al's online. Is 55 lbs. enough for a 75 gal tank ?

It depends on preference; how deep you want it and also on how much rock you will have. I only used one for mine but may add more later.

I want just enough to cover the bottom. As for decorations I am only going to to have to large fake piece of coral in there.

Also does the crushed coral ever lose it's buffering abilities ?

I've used crushed coral in most of my african cichlid tanks and never had a problem with it not buffering the water. Some of the tanks had been set up for 8 to 10 years maybe more.

Yes, one bag will be plenty to cover the bottom. You may want to check for it locally though. BigAls has great prices but the shipping will cost more than the cc.

by ordering off of Big Al's I am saving money than if I had went to a LFS

Back
Top Bottom