Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2010, 02:52 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, so are we saying that random is good or full force is good?

Old 09-13-2010, 03:14 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Okay, so are we saying that random is good or full force is good?
Random flow is most important. With the Vortech like you have it is easier to achieve. With the non-controlable powerheads which only have one mode, being constant full power, getting true random flow is more of a challenge.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:54 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I think you can achieve random flow without spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on vortechs. i think you can keep a tank full of sps happy with fixed power heads.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I think you can achieve random flow without spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on vortechs. i think you can keep a tank full of sps happy with fixed power heads.
Its kind of like driving a hyundai vs a bmw. Sure, they both work....
Old 09-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

No flow "works" too, but its a variable definition. I would think with vortechs you are fine, at the very least I would get some hydorflows or some scwd's.

I have to move my K-nano when I do WC's anyway, so I move it around weekly. Its hard to get enough flow without clogging the whole nano with pumps, so thats my rationale.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I like the concept of the scwd's, if you don't have controllabe powerheads. They can recreate the alternating sequence.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
Its kind of like driving a hyundai vs a bmw. Sure, they both work....
so, it's about "bling"? vortechs are nothing more than jewelery for the tank? i've heard enough complaints about vortechs to say it's more like driving a hyundai, or a jaguar.....i think my hyundai will be in the shop less than your jag!
Old 09-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
so, it's about "bling"? vortechs are nothing more than jewelery for the tank? i've heard enough complaints about vortechs to say it's more like driving a hyundai, or a jaguar.....i think my hyundai will be in the shop less than your jag!
There is a lot more to it than the price/bling". I have owned both when it comes to powerheads and cars. There is a big difference.
My Vortechs have been solid. The only complaint I have ever heard of with vortechs is noise and about one guy who works there. I think noise depends a lot on which mode you are in. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.
When I said, "sure they both work....." I meant on the lines of they both can get you from a to b.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok...but can you at least agree that you can keep an equally healthy sps tank with or without vortechs? my stance that you can do this with budget power heads is true, is it not?
Old 09-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

I don't have the experience either of you do in this, but I would imagine both can be equally as healthy, but varying levels of "success". As an extreme, not true example, both tanks never lose a coral, everything is very healthy, but the growth rates and possible color on one tank are much better.

There isn't much concrete data on the exact sweet spot for SPS growth and color, but most data points to high light, and high random crazy flow, which is better achieved using wavemakers. I have seen some really nice tanks which cite a 90x+ turnover rate and varying levels of directional flow.

Really not meaning to bash anyones methods or saying if you don't use vortechs, you aren't successful. Thats obviously absurd, im just playing the extreme ends devils advocate here.

JM .02

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com