Flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thincat

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay you advance reef keeper, How often you you change the flow in you tank? Vortech has alot of flow options and the flow can be set in many way? Do you stick with one flow or do you change the flow weekly, monthly or what ever. How about intensity? Do you vary the speed, the position or heck what do you do. Speed. position...What do you to go get the perfect flow.....

Last edited:
I've only used the "reef" settings on my unze units that varied the flow every 30 seconds or so. A natural reef to me has more varied, alternating more frequently types flows. I like the intensity or strength high enuf to blow like crazy without moving sand.

Vortech doesn't have something similar?

My flow and direction have been the same the last 5 yrs that I`ve had this 125 reef. My return pumps provide most of the flow. I do have a seio in one corner for my SPS corals.

2 of my 4 Koralia 4's are on a Seio Controller so they ramp up and down from 50% to 100% every 30 secs. The other 3 Koralias (2 K-4, 1 K-3) are constantly on 100%.

Yeah, my Vortec has so many combos that I tend to change the flow every time I do a PWC. I was just wondering how others are doing it. I don't have the wireless model of pumps and I was just thinking how they would control two or more pumps? Would they have to be on the same mode, ie: short mode, long mode, reef mode..ect... I like having two pumps set on different modes for that Chaotic flow.

Last edited:
Yeah, my Vortec has so many combos that I tend to change the flow every time I do a PWC. I was just wondering how others are doing it. I don't have the wireless model of pumps and I was just thinking how they would control two or more pumps? Would they have to be on the same mode, ie: short mode, long mode, reef mode..ect... I like having two pumps set on different modes for that Chaotic flow.

I have the wireless Vortech MP40W. Both or all, of the Vortechs are on the same mode. As far as I know with mine, this is the only option. HOWEVER, you can sync or anti-sync them within the same mode. I use the ReefCrest Mode at 100%. I don't relocate them within the tank. Every once in awhile, if I think about it..... and I'm bored, I will put the Vortechs on the Green constant mode at full blast for a little while, then put it right back to ReefCrest (Yellow) mode. In my head, I pretend that I am simulating a storm or something, within the tnak:lol:
I think the different modes can create different flow patters and possibly stir up some extra detritus.
But all and all, I don't mess with it much. The Vortechs are great and throw out very random flow patters.

In my tank the short pulse mode(blue) is the one that really makes waves and I have to watch out it's not to strong...Tsuname ;)

i used to have a closed loop with an oceans motions 4 way. i used a reeflo barracuda to push the water through it. the 4 way was really nice. the next tank i kept sps in was constant flow from assorted power heads. both tanks grew fine.

In my tank the short pulse mode(blue) is the one that really makes waves and I have to watch out it's not to strong...Tsuname ;)

I like the short pulse mode too, but its just too noisey when I am watching TV or hanging out anywhere near the tank. The constant noise:
Vvvvvvvh.....Vvvvvvvvh......Vvvvvvvvh......Vvvvvvvvh drives me nuts.

i used to have a closed loop with an oceans motions 4 way. i used a reeflo barracuda to push the water through it. the 4 way was really nice. the next tank i kept sps in was constant flow from assorted power heads. both tanks grew fine.

Ditto this. I ran a closed loop on my 72g tank with a scwd and on the 120 I had 2 Tunze Nano streams and 2 MJ mods full force pointing at each other and the flow was random enough that corals flowed in all different directions and my anemone whipped side to side and back and forth.

Okay, so are we saying that random is good or full force is good?

Okay, so are we saying that random is good or full force is good?

Random flow is most important. With the Vortech like you have it is easier to achieve. With the non-controlable powerheads which only have one mode, being constant full power, getting true random flow is more of a challenge.

Last edited:
I think you can achieve random flow without spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on vortechs. i think you can keep a tank full of sps happy with fixed power heads.

I think you can achieve random flow without spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on vortechs. i think you can keep a tank full of sps happy with fixed power heads.

Its kind of like driving a hyundai vs a bmw. Sure, they both work....

No flow "works" too, but its a variable definition. I would think with vortechs you are fine, at the very least I would get some hydorflows or some scwd's.

I have to move my K-nano when I do WC's anyway, so I move it around weekly. Its hard to get enough flow without clogging the whole nano with pumps, so thats my rationale.

I like the concept of the scwd's, if you don't have controllabe powerheads. They can recreate the alternating sequence.

Its kind of like driving a hyundai vs a bmw. Sure, they both work....
so, it's about "bling"? vortechs are nothing more than jewelery for the tank? i've heard enough complaints about vortechs to say it's more like driving a hyundai, or a jaguar.....i think my hyundai will be in the shop less than your jag!
:biglol:

so, it's about "bling"? vortechs are nothing more than jewelery for the tank? i've heard enough complaints about vortechs to say it's more like driving a hyundai, or a jaguar.....i think my hyundai will be in the shop less than your jag!
:biglol:

There is a lot more to it than the price/bling". I have owned both when it comes to powerheads and cars. There is a big difference.
My Vortechs have been solid. The only complaint I have ever heard of with vortechs is noise and about one guy who works there. I think noise depends a lot on which mode you are in. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.
When I said, "sure they both work....." I meant on the lines of they both can get you from a to b.

Last edited:
ok...but can you at least agree that you can keep an equally healthy sps tank with or without vortechs? my stance that you can do this with budget power heads is true, is it not?

I don't have the experience either of you do in this, but I would imagine both can be equally as healthy, but varying levels of "success". As an extreme, not true example, both tanks never lose a coral, everything is very healthy, but the growth rates and possible color on one tank are much better.

There isn't much concrete data on the exact sweet spot for SPS growth and color, but most data points to high light, and high random crazy flow, which is better achieved using wavemakers. I have seen some really nice tanks which cite a 90x+ turnover rate and varying levels of directional flow.

Really not meaning to bash anyones methods or saying if you don't use vortechs, you aren't successful. Thats obviously absurd, im just playing the extreme ends devils advocate here.

JM .02

Back
Top Bottom