Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Flow

Okay you advance reef keeper, How often you you change the flow in you tank? Vortech has alot of flow options and the flow can be set in many way? Do you stick with one flow or do you change the flow weekly, monthly or what ever. How about intensity? Do you vary the speed, the position or heck what do you do. Speed. position...What do you to go get the perfect flow.....

Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I've only used the "reef" settings on my unze units that varied the flow every 30 seconds or so. A natural reef to me has more varied, alternating more frequently types flows. I like the intensity or strength high enuf to blow like crazy without moving sand.

Vortech doesn't have something similar?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

My flow and direction have been the same the last 5 yrs that I`ve had this 125 reef. My return pumps provide most of the flow. I do have a seio in one corner for my SPS corals.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
2 of my 4 Koralia 4's are on a Seio Controller so they ramp up and down from 50% to 100% every 30 secs. The other 3 Koralias (2 K-4, 1 K-3) are constantly on 100%.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, my Vortec has so many combos that I tend to change the flow every time I do a PWC. I was just wondering how others are doing it. I don't have the wireless model of pumps and I was just thinking how they would control two or more pumps? Would they have to be on the same mode, ie: short mode, long mode, reef mode..ect... I like having two pumps set on different modes for that Chaotic flow.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Yeah, my Vortec has so many combos that I tend to change the flow every time I do a PWC. I was just wondering how others are doing it. I don't have the wireless model of pumps and I was just thinking how they would control two or more pumps? Would they have to be on the same mode, ie: short mode, long mode, reef mode..ect... I like having two pumps set on different modes for that Chaotic flow.
I have the wireless Vortech MP40W. Both or all, of the Vortechs are on the same mode. As far as I know with mine, this is the only option. HOWEVER, you can sync or anti-sync them within the same mode. I use the ReefCrest Mode at 100%. I don't relocate them within the tank. Every once in awhile, if I think about it..... and I'm bored, I will put the Vortechs on the Green constant mode at full blast for a little while, then put it right back to ReefCrest (Yellow) mode. In my head, I pretend that I am simulating a storm or something, within the tnak
I think the different modes can create different flow patters and possibly stir up some extra detritus.
But all and all, I don't mess with it much. The Vortechs are great and throw out very random flow patters.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

In my tank the short pulse mode(blue) is the one that really makes waves and I have to watch out it's not to strong...Tsuname
Old 09-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i used to have a closed loop with an oceans motions 4 way. i used a reeflo barracuda to push the water through it. the 4 way was really nice. the next tank i kept sps in was constant flow from assorted power heads. both tanks grew fine.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:02 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
In my tank the short pulse mode(blue) is the one that really makes waves and I have to watch out it's not to strong...Tsuname
I like the short pulse mode too, but its just too noisey when I am watching TV or hanging out anywhere near the tank. The constant noise:
Vvvvvvvh.....Vvvvvvvvh......Vvvvvvvvh......Vvvvvvv vh drives me nuts.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i used to have a closed loop with an oceans motions 4 way. i used a reeflo barracuda to push the water through it. the 4 way was really nice. the next tank i kept sps in was constant flow from assorted power heads. both tanks grew fine.

Ditto this. I ran a closed loop on my 72g tank with a scwd and on the 120 I had 2 Tunze Nano streams and 2 MJ mods full force pointing at each other and the flow was random enough that corals flowed in all different directions and my anemone whipped side to side and back and forth.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com