flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vsnsofadrgn

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a 20 gal and i dont think i have enough flow. im not sure what the 2 powerheads are rated that i have, but i dont thin its enough flow. would it be better to get one powerhead thats rated at 230 or 2 that are rated at 106 gph??

I think it is better to have 2 powerheads, unless you also have a sump with a return that is creating flow also.

You want your flow to be 10x-20x tank capacity. You also want to create a chaotic type of water flow which can not be done with a single ph. Get a minimum of two and point them at each other or point both to the front center of the glass.

Two, IMO, really is better than one so it's more random, diffused and irregular rather than coming from one narrow outlet on one powerhead. Powerheads can be unsightly and do take up room so it's not all that easy to chose when it comes to a 20-gallon tank. If you don't mind the look, a good quality, effective flow could come from two MaxiJets (900's or 12'00....a lot of flow is a good thing) with Hydor water deflectors on them.

I use a maxi jet 900 and maxi jet 1200, and a mag 5 that returns water from the sump. 29gallon tank. Seems to have PLENTY of flow. I change the directions on the PH's whenever I change water, that way the current is somewhat random.

well ive got a powersweep ph, it sweeps every where, on one side and a regular ph on the other. i just dont think its enough, ill have to check into what they are rated and find out. im also sick of looking at them. id like a sump and have the return or closed loop replace the phs, but my tank is not drilled, and i dont want an over flow box, so i guess im stuck with the phs.

Back
Top Bottom