Flow for a 40 breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquadan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im looking to replace my wp25 with two smaller powerheads. The wp25 is just too strong in there and my corals are getting blasted. Any advice on which powerheads to get would be appreciated. I've been looking at koralias but don't know which sizes would work. Thanks

I would probably do two Koralia 600's on the 40g breeder. That'd be 30x tank volume flow and since you have two, you can play with the flow angles and try to eliminate dead spots.

It's a tough tank to figure out flow from my experience. On mine, I played around with alternating Koralia 1500's, then 1 1500, then 2 850's... I got fed up with it lol and went with an MP10. Worth every cent. If you don't want to spend the money, then I agree with Rick on the 2 600's.

I'm skeptical of the mp10 because I think I will get dead spots using only 1 powerhead. I figure if I use 2 I can get a better flow throughout the tank. What do you think about using a 750 and a 425? If not then I think I'll go with the two 600s.

I use three korelia 425s in both of my 40s and get good amount of flow with no dead spots

I'm skeptical of the mp10 because I think I will get dead spots using only 1 powerhead. I figure if I use 2 I can get a better flow throughout the tank. What do you think about using a 750 and a 425? If not then I think I'll go with the two 600s.

The MP10 is ridiculous and and there are many settings to avoid dead spots. I watched a lot of YouTube videos before I made my decision to buy it, and was also skeptical, but it proved me wrong.

On your other inquiry, I wouldn't do a 750 and 425 as you will have a side dominating the other. Do 2 600's...

So, not to steal this thread, but how do you calculate flow rate per gallons? I have a 37 gallon tall, and am running 2 nano 425's. It seems fine for the few softie corals I have now, but I would like to eventually upgrade to more flow, with a wavemaker of some sort.

So, not to steal this thread, but how do you calculate flow rate per gallons? I have a 37 gallon tall, and am running 2 nano 425's. It seems fine for the few softie corals I have now, but I would like to eventually upgrade to more flow, with a wavemaker of some sort.

(425x2)/37=22.97
Your tank is turning over 37 gallons 23 times per hour.

Lol. Thank Bribo, for some reason I was thinking it would be more complicated than that. Must be my blonde showing through :)

The 23x flow is perfectly fine for your softies. Also, from my experience they tend to do better in "dirtier" water.

Well, I bought two koralia 600s and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. They don't seem to do a whole lot of anything. I'm going to keep trying different locations for them, but at this point I think I should've just got the mp10. Even pointed right at my torch from 18 inches away it's not really moving.

I have 6 koralia power heads I'm not using...I could have 2 mp10's if I went with them to begin with. They're awesome. Even my 1 is great...

This makes a wp25 and 2 koralias and when I got the wp25 they were still $75. Next stop mp10 I'm done messing with the flow in this tank. Live and learn. :)

I was reading about a person that put a wp25 in their 29g tank and they were having issues with it being too powerful as well. Their solution was to put a voltage regulator on it which they bought for $12 and it powered down the pump to be just about perfect for their tank. It might be worth looking in to. I can go find the link for it if you're interested.

Cut your losses lol. Get an MP10... Don't waste any more money! Lol lol

Back
Top Bottom