Flow for a mixed reef.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tkey3425

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 180 has been up for almost 2 years and I have decided to start placing corals. All I had to begin with was a pair of maxi jet pro 1200s set up as circulation pumps (1300gph) each. One on each side near the top. I also have a 1200gph return. I was told that was not enough for my tank if I wanted to do corals. I was directed to buy a hydor wave maker and 4 koralia evolution 1500s. I put two on each side and run them on the alternating wave mode. so 5 seconds left on right off then 5 seconds right on left off. I've played with the timing and no matter what it blows my sand everywhere. Is this TOO much flow? I've seen many other tank with probably twice the flow in a smaller set up without issues. It's basically taking all the sand from the middle of my tank and pushing it to the sides. Would putting two on the back help? I think the flow down the glass will do the same and don't want to keep stressing my fish.

Have you tried just running two of the 1500s? Also try running then all at once letting the flows crash into each other Thats what had to do i have around 10k gph flow in my 180 it's also 8 foot long so that helps You can also let the flow crash into the rocks it will break it up too.

Have you tried just running two of the 1500s? Also try running then all at once letting the flows crash into each other Thats what had to do i have around 10k gph flow in my 180 it's also 8 foot long so that helps You can also let the flow crash into the rocks it will break it up too.

Yeah I could just run two together but then there was no point in spend almost $300 on new pumps haha. I could have stuck with my $20 MJs. Ill probably just deal with the sand or put something with heavier grain on top and see what happens.

Point the powerheads upwards instead of downwards?

I did almost to the point of re-creating old faithful in my home. Ill play around with them some more. Maybe it's the rock work but ill try and look around. Maybe the finer sand was a bad idea.

Yeah I could just run two together but then there was no point in spend almost $300 on new pumps haha. I could have stuck with my $20 MJs. Ill probably just deal with the sand or put something with heavier grain on top and see what happens.

No point in spending 300 if it's not needed But now that you have them we need to find a way to make them work lol

I run 2 1400's in my 6 foot 125g and have no issue with sand blowing around. At one point I also had 2 1400's on the back wall and even then no sandstorm. It's just the cherry spot youre looking for and it can take a few tries to get it just right. :) I have mine now pointing towards the front glass and a tad upward. I get a little ripple on the top of the water and the flow from both collide at the front glass so I get good chaotic flow.

All you are running now are the koralia evos? I was maintaining a 150 for a while (only 18" front to back) and had 6 x 1400 gph power heads running full time, plus the return pump which was a pair of mag 7's, so 1400 gph before head loss, and it could have used a bit more.
I think you only have a placement problem.

Back
Top Bottom