Flow help for my reef setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuOD

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I'm trying to decide how to place my powerheads so that everything gets flow. I'm finding it very difficult to meet the needs of every coral.

Currently, I have 2x SEIO 820, each pointing toward the front middle making a V shape, and creating a lot of flow. Is this too much for frogspawn/torch coral? They seem to have gone back inside their sticks now. I don't know whether it's because of the recently changed flow or too much.

Be careful that you dont kill off your torch and frogspawn with too much flow. I ended up having a couple heads of my torch and hammer coral die from tissue dammage from too much flow. I know you stated that you wanted flow info but you`ll need to find out how much flow is needed for each coral. Some corals need alot and some need moderate flow while some dont need much at all. Just be careful that you dont overdo it on the flow. I hope all goes well

I lost 2-3 heads on the torch when I first added it to my tank, but the other 4 heads are doing really well with the new flow setup. The frogspawn is doing the best by far. I'll see how it goes in a few days and make changes if necessary.

Well they're just in the front left portion of the tank. I tried setting both powerheads to low flow and the V still causes too much flow.

I'm just gonna have one aim from back corner to front center, other aim along back wall

That's going to create a circular pattern which will end up creating more dead spots in the tank. Personally I'd set them pointing directly at each other to create more randomness in the flow and move the corals to a lower flowing area like the ends below the PH which will have less flow then the middle.

I noticed in your photos that you aren't using the directional snout and if you do it will slightly cut the flow and give you better control.

I have 4 of those in my 125G. I set them up in an uoside down V and have the dividers pointing at the surface. You can also move some rock around to divert direct flow to the corals that don't need high flow.

tecwzrd said:
That's going to create a circular pattern which will end up creating more dead spots in the tank. Personally I'd set them pointing directly at each other to create more randomness in the flow and move the corals to a lower flowing area like the ends below the PH which will have less flow then the middle.

I noticed in your photos that you aren't using the directional snout and if you do it will slightly cut the flow and give you better control.

When I first set the PH up I noticed that removing those bottom pieces made the flow about 5x as much - or at least it feels that way.

I just tried aiming them at each other across the back wall - but the protein skimmer box is there and it messes everything up.

I was hoping not to rearrange the rocks as the corals fit very neatly into the places they are now.

What about aiming then towards each other either in the middle or on the front wall?

tecwzrd said:
What about aiming then towards each other either in the middle or on the front wall?

I was trying to keep them hidden in the back. Ultimately, I have no idea what I'll end up doing because when I move I'm completely reaquascaping. I'm also planning to get a deeper tank so I'll need more rock! I was thinking of doing 2 separate piles of rocks and having some sand in the middle, that way I could probably make the flow a lot more regular.

I'll try uping the flow on them and moving them a little closer to the middle and pointing directly at each other...

| |
|PH --> <---PH |
| |

Both of them aiming up at the surface to create agitation.

That sounds like a great idea. I would put them lower, aiming a little upward. I actually have 2 620 and a maxi-jet 1200 in my 55G. I use the maxi-jet to aim toward the top, for surface ripple.

Just out of curiousity, how many powerheads would you recommend for a 150g tank, (48long, 24 wide, 30tall), and should I get more lower rated ones or some more 820s?

I'd like to make a V shape with the rocks.

Also, does anyone have any ideas how to scrape algae and stuff off the bottom of a 30" tank? I don't think I'd be able to reach the bottom.

What about the idea of using a couple MiniJets...

http://www.marineland.com/products/asi/mini-jet.asp

... to induce higher flow in those areas where you need it, and reducing the overall flow? I know everyone says you need so much flow based on tank volume, but doesn't it really get down to the actual velocity going over the coral in question? Seems like you could get your tank circulation worked out with lower flow, and then add "spots" of higher flow using the little minijets. Granted, it might be harder to get a random flow pattern this way but would something like that work for you?

That might work, Kurt, but the SEIOs have a divider at the output that lets you "split" the output of the water flow in two different directions., the main output can also be directed up and down. I do use a maxi-jet in conjunction with the SEIOs.
Another option is to put the phs on timers, to create semi-random circulation.

I think I've got some nice flow now.

They're approximately middle and both aiming up a lot, creating a ton of surface agitation as well as mixing nicely in the middle.

I'll take some pictures a bit later

GuOD said:
They're approximately middle and both aiming up a lot, creating a ton of surface agitation as well as mixing nicely in the middle.

Sounds good to me

melosu58 said:
GuOD said:

Sounds good to me

Well, I just came back home and 2 of the frogspawn ends went inside. I decided to change the flow a bit to create less and I also decided for now to just move it and stick it in the sand infront. I'll take pictures in a bit

If you change the flow that will be enough to cause them to slough or not look quite so great. But if it`s the change then they`ll eventually come out but if they are getting blasted then you`ll be able to see and you`ll have to change the flow around.

Thanks Mike, I tried to take that into consideration when making my judgement.

For now, almost all my corals seem to be doing well - i had to move the frogspawn from the middle area but all is well.

My toadstool leather has been sloughed for several days now - I've been moving him around a lot and everything though. As soon as I got my new light he sloughed because it was too strong, so I moved him down and he never seems to be happy. Right now I have it down in the sand again and I'm gonna try leaving it there a few days.

I also got a colt coral which shrivels when placed in the top 60% of the tank, but in the bottom half it just falls over. I've just stuck it inbetween some rocks now because it's attached to an odd piece which makes placement hard. I'm hoping to gradually move it up to higher light/more flow.

Back
Top Bottom