Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Flow levels in a tank, and nightly scheduling?

I recently got some wave makers for my tank, and I got in the habit of turning them off at night as I saw someone else that had his on a timer to emulate the way the currents in the ocean work (or so he said). However, the guys at the LFS said I should always have the wave makers on and the more current the better.

What is correct?

ScotJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
There is wave action all the time in the ocean. The waves are calmer at night through, so maybe put some of the PC's on a timer if your wave maker does not have a night feature.

thincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
When I had a wavemaker device I left it on always. My new powerhead has a wavemaker built in and it goes into "night mode" at night which is basically 50% of the power which is run throughout the day. Some people think its only there to save the longevity of the powerhead others think it is more natural. I don't believe it will make a difference as far as coral growth/color if it is left on constantly or is run in "night mode." I think the same would apply to your wavemaker. What wavemaker do you have?
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to TheChad
I don't have a "Wave Maker", but I do leave all my powerheads/pumps on 24/7 and my corals grow like weeds. My fish usuall tuck into a coral/rock/cave at night when the lights go out, so Unless you are doing it for yourself I don't believe it makes any difference for the fish.

90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote

flow, level, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com