Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2004, 07:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

"Flow" Question and Coral Behavior Question.

Upon hearing today that I thought all our parameters checked out for corals in our 20g, my mother went and bought corals. Without asking me. ...thanks, Mom.

At least she stayed with my list for hardier specimens, sorta. I had preferred that she get only mushrooms and star polyps, but we ended up with 1 elephant-ear mushroom, 1 red mushroom "rock," 1 torch coral, and 1 pearl bubble. The main thing I am uncertain about with these corals right now is their "flow" recommendations. Particularly for the torch and the bubble. From what I've read about the torch it needs a "moderate/high" flow-- but what does that mean? Should it be directly next to an output of some kind with its polyps waving around in the water or should they be moving just a little? And does the pearl need just a little movement or should water just be clearly flowing around it without moving the polyps?

My other question is-- how long will it take for the corals to be fully "settled" in their new water conditions. How long will it take for them to look their best and start growing? I noticed when I was taking the pearl bubble from acclimation to the tank it closed up, but now that it has been in there a while the "bubbles" are starting to stick out again.

One last question on the pearl- how close, in general, would it like to be to the light?

Old 03-19-2004, 08:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
From what I've read about the torch it needs a "moderate/high" flow-- but what does that mean? Should it be directly next to an output of some kind with its polyps waving around in the water or should they be moving just a little? And does the pearl need just a little movement or should water just be clearly flowing around it without moving the polyps?
Neither my torch or bubble are in direct flow. They sit under the PH and only get water flow that bounces off the glass and gets redirected throughout the tank. They sway gently in the current. Basically, you want to simply get their tissues moving, but not so much that they are moving about wildly. You definitely don't want to put them in front of a PH as this could easily tear their tissues.

Quote:
My other question is-- how long will it take for the corals to be fully "settled" in their new water conditions. How long will it take for them to look their best and start growing? I noticed when I was taking the pearl bubble from acclimation to the tank it closed up, but now that it has been in there a while the "bubbles" are starting to stick out again.
Typically, it takes a day or two before they get really comfortable with their surroundings. I wouldn't worry yet.

Quote:
One last question on the pearl- how close, in general, would it like to be to the light?
Bubbles prefer medium light, IMO. I am not sure what kind of lighting you have so its hard for me to advise on exact placement. I can tell you that I have a 250w MH with 2X55w PC. With my lighting, I placed my bubble in the lower portion of the tank. I think middle tank or lower would be probably the most appropriate for bubbles in *most* tanks as well.

Old 03-19-2004, 08:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

My tank is a 20g with a 130 watt PC (Coralife)-- sorry I forgot to mention that.

And the corals are already starting to look better. Hurrah. =)
Old 03-19-2004, 09:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My tank is a 20g with a 130 watt PC (Coralife)-- sorry I forgot to mention that.
I think middle to lower will be fine for the guy. You have plenty of lighting for a bubble.

Quote:
And the corals are already starting to look better. Hurrah. =)
WoooHooo!!

Tags
behavior, coral, flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com