Flow Questions - Pump Arrangement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noteworthy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I'm going to be changing up my pump arrangement soon. I'm recieving another overflow.. u tube and another pump. Let me list all my pumps first THEN post the picture and explain.

Pumps:
Three Powerheads -150-200 GPH each
Via Aqua 305- 315GPH
Rio HF12 - 700 GPH
Mag 7 - 700 GPH
Mag 5 - 500 GPH

Now I need to be around 20x so I'm thinking this...

Put the mag5 in my sump for basic heat transfer and added water volume. I dont need a ton of water movement.

Remove one of the powerheads and raise the other two up to points D and E in my diagram. for water movement on top with the overflow suction.

Put the Rio HF12 at point A

Put the Mag 7 at point B

Put the Via 305 at point C

The skimmer also will have a mag 3 and attached in the main tank.

So I'm looking at 2500 GPH moved total. Estimated. Which is 20x turnover of a 125G tank.

Any ideas or suggestions?!? Do I need to add 45s on the pumps in each corner or just let it go at a 90.

Attachments

• waterflow_108.jpg
    waterflow_108.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 50
Fish and coral plans?

How much is in the budget? I just employed twin Tunze Streams on my 155g. One on either side. That's all. They each output up to 1875 gph, but I can tone'm down. The 7095 controller they hook up to has night time modes, feeding timers and a bunch of optional settings to vary my flow. Bottom line, it's not multiple powerheads all over the place that can make things look crowded IMO.

Remember, circulation and filtration turnover are two different things. Fitration rate is how much goes thru the filter/skimmer. Circulation is what your powerheads give you in the top of yor tank.

You sure a Mag 3 will drive your skimmer? Seems slow at first glance.

I hope I got the terminology right.

Also, check on flexible spa hose/tubing instead of 45 or 90 pvc elbows if you're worried about restricting flow. They glue right into PVC joints/connectors. Real neat IMO.

Back
Top Bottom