flow rate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfrank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know I'm shooting for at least 10 X cirulation in the tank... question is concerning the protein skimmer. The pump in it is rated at 350gph. Do I include this in the overall tank flow or no? I thought I read that you do not but I can't seem to find it. Opinions?

The flow rate is not an exact science so there is no real need to include the skimmer into the calculation. It also depends on where the skimmer is as to if its output has any effect on the acutal tank's current or not. If the skimmer outputs directly into the tank then yes the skimmer would increase the flow rate but there no real maximum flow rate that you dont want to go over so there isnt much need to try to figure out what the acutal flow rate of the skimmer is. Remember the skimmer pump might be rated at 350GPH but once the air and water gets mixed the flow rate is lible to be lower.

If the skimmer outputs into a sump then its flow would have no effect on the main tank as far as adding additional circulation.

fishfreek said:
If the skimmer outputs into a sump then its flow would have no effect on the main tank as far as adding additional circulation.

There's my answer. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom