Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2004, 03:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Flow through a refugium?

What is the ideal flow through a refugium in gph?

I will have a 65 gal main tank and a 20 gal refugium. I am thinking of going with the Iwaki MD20RLXT rated at 540 gph at 4' head. Would that be sufficient?

Thanks,

Paul.

Old 01-20-2004, 05:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i believe lower flow through a refugium is better because it gives the DSB/Macro algae time to do its thing

Old 01-20-2004, 05:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
Oh do you mean the flow for the entire system.. as in a return pump? I have a 45G tall main tank, and a 29G refugium. I currently have a Rio 1400 (I would avoid this brand, there are many better than this IMO). It does 400 GPH but at my current hieght of the tank.. it does about 250 GPH. Without a refugium this would be way too slow for any tank, especially my own. But as I was considering getting a new return pump, I realized that my system is doing really well and my macro algaes are growing very well too. I have just ordered three Maxi-jet 900's.. these powerheads are a necessity in any tank! In total my tank turn over (including the return pump) will be 20.2x for the 45G main tank alone, and including the refugium's waters it would be about 15.5x - I am not too sure what to say about your flow rate.. with my return alone it turns my tank over about 4x. It depends on your preference... I would say maybe around 5-6 for you (but if you have a refugium.. if not then I would go for about 10x turn over. 5-6x for you would need a pump that could do about 450 GPH with whatever head hieght your tank is at. Remember that means that your return would have to be able to do 450GPH at whatever hieght your tank is at... not at 0' head. Hopefully more will give their opinions and you can make the decision afterwards
Old 01-20-2004, 07:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

imo id doesnt matter !! think about it !! does macros grow in a display with alot of flow??? yes !!! do pods grow in a main tank with lots of flow ??? yes!!!
i know that the fuge with low flow will settle alot of waste which imo ya better to have a higher flow so all waste can be picked up by the skimmer !! just my thoughs
Old 01-20-2004, 10:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Looks like my pump will do 8x turnover. I guess I`ll be ok

Thanks,

Paul.

Tags
flow, refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com