Flow where to aim them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Damarferg

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 65 gal tall tank with corals. Some of my corals dont even open when I point my powerheads to the surface for agitation because then some of my corals don't even open. So is it ok if I point my powerheads down instead to the surface will there be any air if not do I need more powerheads to point to the surface. Haha this is so hard.

I have a 65 gal tall tank with corals. Some of my corals dont even open when I point my powerheads to the surface for agitation because then some of my corals don't even open. So is it ok if I point my powerheads down instead to the surface will there be any air if not do I need more powerheads to point to the surface. Haha this is so hard.

Lol yea see if you can pick up a cheap power head from amazon or eBay, 300-500gph would be enough to break the surface of ur tank across most of the tank. What kind of power head do you have on the tank now?

At least 1 power head should be used to agitate the surface and another one at the other end horizontal to help water circulation.

I have too facing down because I have an anemone that won't open if there's flow and a yellow leather toad on the other end that won't open if thers flow so I have both pointing downward the powerheads is called koralia circulation and wave pump hydor and the other one is a cheap small powerhead

At least 1 power head should be used to agitate the surface and another one at the other end horizontal to help water circulation.

+1

To get adequate circulation its best to have at least 3 different sources of water flow one of which should be pointed at the surface.

+1

To get adequate circulation its best to have at least 3 different sources of water flow one of which should be pointed at the surface.

Ok but my concern is I had my powerheads pointed at the surface before but some of my corals didn't even bother to come out because there was no flow on the other side. I probably have to get one more powerheads a good one too

Ok but my concern is I had my powerheads pointed at the surface before but some of my corals didn't even bother to come out because there was no flow on the other side. I probably have to get one more powerheads a good one too

You most likely will need at least 1 more powerhead. Getting a proper flow in your tank is by far the most difficult part of setting up a reef tank. Mine is somewhat adequate at the moment but I am afraid to try to make it better because I don't want to mess up what I have :(

Flow is tricky, it took me a few months to get mine right. I now have one power head pointed at the surface, one near the surface in the middle on the back wall, and one larger one pointed across my tank(opposite of the surface ph) that is somewhat pointed up. My coral all seem happy with my flow which wasn't easy.

It's a trial in error thing since each tank has a different configuration. The location of overflow, return and aquascaping affects the flow.

Well will I be ok pointing my powerheads down right now until I get another one to point on the surface. Will my fish have enough air when pointing them down

Back
Top Bottom