Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-08-2004, 12:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Flowing water currents...

How beneficial is it to have an ever changing flow of water in your tank? I saw THIS product on Big Als and was wondering if it's worth the money to pick one up. I guess what I'm asking is, would the fish be happier with it?

Old 09-08-2004, 04:03 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: Flowing water currents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glomgold
I guess what I'm asking is, would the fish be happier with it?
Fish wouldn't really be a consideration with something like this. Simple powerheads that meet required flow rates for marine aquaria (10x/hr minimum) would be just fine.

Something like this would be a decent investment if you had a coral tank and even then moreso for SPS's than anything else. If you've got the extra cash it is definately a plus alround but it's not something I would streach a budget on unless a reef system. There are less exspensive "power bar" set ups that allow for an on/off random flow generation that you could look into a well.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-08-2004, 05:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the reply. So SW tanks absolutely require a minimum flow rate? Could that be accomplished via a filters water return valve?
Old 09-08-2004, 05:18 PM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glomgold
Thanks for the reply. So SW tanks absolutely require a minimum flow rate?
Flow within the tank is quite important for gas exchange, pH and detritus accumulation to name just a few. At the minimum, shoot for about 10x the volume of the tank. So if say a 75 gal, you'll need 750 GPH from your combined water moving apparatus not including the skimmer (if you get one).

Quote:
Could that be accomplished via a filters water return valve?
Depends on the filter and or return being used. It is more tham possible to accomplish this via return pump from a sump or closed loop system. Just be sure to properly calculate head loss.

If talking in terms of HOB or canister filters, they shouldn't be relied on depending on tank size. Once/if media is used, detritus and food accumulation will impede water flow not to mention the media itself. They can be used to "augment" the flow but I would definately not rely on them for all the flow.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-08-2004, 07:17 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
You can get away with alternating currents cheap by using a sqwd on your main return (if you have a sump or closed loop). Works pretty good.
If you're handy w/electronics you can build your own 2-way wave maker with 2 time delay relays. I'm using that with two modified http://www.geocities.com/nivenboug/Cutmaxijets.html powerheads along with a sqwd. Ton's of flow and various currents.
Another pic of modified maxijets:
http://home.comcast.net/~jeronehammond/MaxiJetMod.html

Tags
flow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com