Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-06-2006, 09:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by BillyZ
You also need to set it up so you don't flood your main if the the main's overflow is clogged for any reason. Most will do this by putting the return pump of the sump in a seperate chamber. The main chamber of the sump flows over a wall that is a little lower than the rim of the tank. This way, if the main tank's overflow is clogged or loses it's siphon then the return pump only pushes up what is in it's own chamber rather than the entire volume of water in the sump.
Great point. Also you don't want your sump completely full either. If you lose power and get back siphon it will flood the sump. I keep my sumps below the half full mark. When I lose power the sump fills to about an inch from the top before the siphon breaks kick in.

angelscrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Thanks, I think ill get started this weekend on it......

Squado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Does the quality of the overflow box really matter. I know that with most things that you get what you pay for, but dont they all pretty much just keep a continous syphon? I found one on ebay that was pretty cheap and was wondering if any one had used on of these before?

Also, Im having some trouble understanding the idea of the syphon break. How exactly does this work?

Squado is offline   Reply With Quote

flow, sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com