Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-01-2004, 09:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
Fluidized bed filter

What exactly is a fluidized bed filter? What does it do. Would you recomend using one?

Old 01-01-2004, 09:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is Fluidized Bedding (not 100% sure on it's components...a google search would probably solve that). It stays suspended in a fluidized bed chamber, and it creates vast amounts of surface area for bacteria to grow. I'm not sure if it is recommended for SW or not, I've never asked...though I don't really see how it could hurt...as I don't _think_ it traps detritus in it....but you never do know. So hopefully I at least told you what it does. HTH!

Old 01-01-2004, 10:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I really like mine

Basically it is a tube with sand in it that via a pump circulates water in and out of the tube area while the water is flowing around the sand media creating a bacteria colony that is highly effeciant as a bio filter. A good picture is at the company below http://www.bioconlabs.com/ I have used mine both on freash and salt water tanks and has done a wonderful job, I would recommend red sea merlin or a company called Biocon labs sells these to a company,(if you email them they will tell you who)and they seem very nice as well. for about $75 or less you can use one for up to a 250 gallon tank. Have fun!
Old 01-01-2004, 10:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I really like mine

Basically it is a tube with sand in it that via a pump circulates water in and out of the tube area while the water is flowing around the sand media creating a bacteria colony that is highly effeciant as a bio filter. A good picture is at the company below http://www.bioconlabs.com/ I have used mine both on freash and salt water tanks and has done a wonderful job, I would recommend red sea merlin or a company called Biocon labs sells these to a company,(if you email them they will tell you who)and they seem very nice as well. for about $75 or less you can use one for up to a 250 gallon tank. Have fun!
Old 01-01-2004, 10:08 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
There are a few potential problems with these filters. One, they can sometimes eject part or all of their media into the tank. Two, in the event of a power failure, all the sand in the filter will settle to the bottom of the tube. If power isn't restored soon, the bacteria on the sand will use all the oxygen and the lower areas will become anaerobic. Then, when the pump comes back on, all the potentially toxic waste products generated by the anaerobic area and the dead aerobic bacteria will go into the tank. Third, there are better ways to process the ammonia and nitrite in a tank. Unless you don't intend to use LR in your tank, you really don't need any additional biological filtration. Also, if you set your tank up with a DSB, you'll have a natural way to export the nitrates that will build up. The LR will help to an extent with nitrate conversion, but IMO, it's not enough for most tanks. JMHO.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
well i already have lots of live rock and 4 inch cc bed. I just didn't know if this would help anything or hurt it. Just wondering
Old 01-02-2004, 12:16 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I think the potential for problems outweighs the possible benefits you might gain. JMHO.

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com