Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

That would be the best setup since the white will give you the most growth and the acticnic could be used for just the color enhancement of your corals since T8s aren't very powerful compared to t5s...and sorry bout the scare lol

Old 03-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

T8's don't work well as actinic lights if that's what you're going for. Can you fit more of the retrofits in your canopy? The metallic tape doesn't seem to work to well from what I've heard. I'd just buy the reflectors if oyu can afford it.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick
T8's don't work well as actinic lights if that's what you're going for. Can you fit more of the retrofits in your canopy? The metallic tape doesn't seem to work to well from what I've heard. I'd just buy the reflectors if oyu can afford it.
+1 if you can just ditch the T8 and do a 4 bulb retro fit with one white one purple one blue and the fourth which ever color you want depending on how blue you want your tank then lighting would for sure no longer be an issue and gives you the opportunity to get higher requirement corals...no sps of course but some nice lps could be done
Old 03-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'll start with this setup. Looked on the Interwebs and saw tank profiles with soft coral using exactly this kind of lighting, but LPS would be really cool too. If I can fit 1 more retrofit in there, plus the one I ordered, plus my T8s, it'll be the vegas strip in my living room. There's no hurry at all in my project. I could always upgrade later. Anyway, here in Quebec, we're in the north, so shipping + heating + less people so smaller market, makes the hobby lots more expensive for us Canadians than you Americans. I'll start with a Colt, Mushroom or Toadstool Coral (50$-60$ each at my LFS, compared to 20$-30$ in the US if I'm right) see how it goes, then upgrade my lights one more time if I feel like it.
1xFalse Percula 1xFalse Percula (Misbar) 1x Green Mandarin 1xBengal Cardinalfish 1xSix Line Wrasse, 1xRoyal Gramma 1xSkunk Cleaner Shrimp, 1xPeppermint Zoas, Polyps, Finger Leather Coral, Accroporas, Frogspawn, Riccordea Floridas, Brain, Favia, Elegance Coral.
nuwave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good but if you have a lot of light bleeding out into your room then id say build a canopy and install a pc fan or 2...that's the nice thing about the retrofits..more options
Old 03-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

And if you think that would be bright I've got 6 36" t5s and 2 moonlights on my 46 gallon which is 21" tall and I am getting growth from sps all the way to the bottom 1/3 so if you had 4 and your t8 id imagine you could keep some sps in the top of the tank and lps no problem at all
Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah though about that too. Found on the Interwebs small laptop fans 2''x2''. I could fit 2 of those behind my canopy. I have room for that! On that pushes air in, the other that pushes air out.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Computer-PC-C...item3f0d586f18
1xFalse Percula 1xFalse Percula (Misbar) 1x Green Mandarin 1xBengal Cardinalfish 1xSix Line Wrasse, 1xRoyal Gramma 1xSkunk Cleaner Shrimp, 1xPeppermint Zoas, Polyps, Finger Leather Coral, Accroporas, Frogspawn, Riccordea Floridas, Brain, Favia, Elegance Coral.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi guys! Just received my retrofit. I'll install it and start with a colt or mushrooms. I know it's not enough light for you, but my tank isn't deep and isn't big. There's place to fit another retrofit in there, but i'll have to remove the T8s if I do that. I'll buy it later. I have a blue T8 and a White T8. What T5 would you use? I was thinking of a purple in the back with the blue T8, and a white in the front with the white T8. Or both blue in the back?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

White would be best used on your t5 since it is your best grower

Tags
coral, fluorescent, light, lighting, soft coral, t5 bulbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com