Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fluorescent lighting question and coral placement

Hi!

Just ordered this :

Hagen GLO T5 Electronic Flourescent Lighting System (2-24W/2-39W)

I have actually a 30g FOWLR setup and will convert to reef. I plan to add 2 x 24'' 24 watts T5 lights to the 2 20w T8 I already have. I will use metalic tape inside the canopy as a reflector.

I plan to keep easy soft corals like cabbage, mushroom, toadstools, polyps, leather and finger coral.

Does-it sound good to you? Sound like a good moderate lighting tank to me!

1xFalse Percula 1xFalse Percula (Misbar) 1x Green Mandarin 1xBengal Cardinalfish 1xSix Line Wrasse, 1xRoyal Gramma 1xSkunk Cleaner Shrimp, 1xPeppermint Zoas, Polyps, Finger Leather Coral, Accroporas, Frogspawn, Riccordea Floridas, Brain, Favia, Elegance Coral.
nuwave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh yeah! And when they say "moderate lighting" requirement for a coral, with a
moderate lighting tank, where do I place it? I know fluorescents dont reach the bottom of the tank like metal halides.

1xFalse Percula 1xFalse Percula (Misbar) 1x Green Mandarin 1xBengal Cardinalfish 1xSix Line Wrasse, 1xRoyal Gramma 1xSkunk Cleaner Shrimp, 1xPeppermint Zoas, Polyps, Finger Leather Coral, Accroporas, Frogspawn, Riccordea Floridas, Brain, Favia, Elegance Coral.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

T8s are pretty much useless imo for saltwater and the compact your showing doesn't seem like it would be suitable either...you may be able to use them given your wanting low light and low care corals but you are always better off getting the best you can in your price range for lighting
Old 03-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, but it's a T5 HO lighting retrofit kit. I read it would ok for soft corals. I already have the T8s, so I'll just leave them on...
Old 03-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just can't imagine those end caps will give you the coverage or par reading that you would need...I've never used one or even seen one at that but honestly I think you'd be better off finding a 2 or 4 bulb t5 HO with the actual tubes not the caps..like I said though if you stick to low lighting only then it probably would work but you won't get the growth or color that you could have
Old 03-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Retrofits are nice, but now the whole package. The real benefit of T5s are the individual reflectors that increases the light output into your aquarium. I would definitely purchase some individual T5 reflectors and add that to your canopy\mounting surface.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mrc8858 : Sorry but I have to say that I don't agree at all. I think T5 lighting is T5 lighting. I don't understand what is wrong with the end caps? You put a bulb between the two of them, and you have the same thing any other T5 light will provide. Maybe you're right, but I hope you're wrong. Not that i'm stubborn but because it's already ordered . I'll give it a try and let you know for sure. Not so long ago, people had good results and only T12 were availaible. (Those guys were pros though :P).

Aquarick : Actually, my canopy is really narrow and I already have reflectors in there. They're white, but I'll boost them with metallic tape. If it's not enough, Hagen has reflectors designed especially for those for 20$/each.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok I think I was mistaken I was thinking that it was some kind of a spotlighting system...in that case that should work fine but you definately want individual reflectors
Old 03-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just aim for 4-5 watts per gallon and you won't have any issues
Old 03-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mrc8858 : You scared me a bit! I was sure I couldn't be that much mistaken! Yes, little spotlights like that would suck!

For the reflectors, I'll give it a try with metallic tape, or buy the ones they sell for this retrofit if it doesn't work.

What if I would use the T8s for actinic light, and the T5 for withe light? I could turn on the blue lights early in the morning, then turn on the white lights, then leave the blue ones in the evening, and just my moonlight at night. Would be awesome!

Tags
coral, fluorescent, light, lighting, soft coral, t5 bulbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com