Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2004, 12:03 AM   #1

Fluval 404 noise driving me nuts!

I have a 56 gallon corner reef and fish tank, and ever since a media change, my fluval 404 has been making a racket. Ive tried a dozen things to get it right...all sorts of techniques to try to eliminate potential air pockets, etc....and it just won't go away. So, rather than endure the prospect of shipping it back to Hagen and waiting for a replacement or whatnot, I have decided to get another filter.

Please let me know what you think would be a good value, user-friendly canister filter. I am also willing to just buy another fluval 404, if it's worth a shot, and just chalk this one up as a bad experience.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2004, 12:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a Fluval 303 and have had the same problems, each time i open it up i get noises unless there is absolutly no air in it. When is working right its almost silent. i like the filter and i will continue to use it.

Old 09-03-2004, 12:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know not many people seem to have these but I have the proquatics 1600... that one is rated up to 75g I believe... they also have one slightly bigger that goes up to 125g. The 1600 is 99.99 and the bigger is 149.99. Unfortunately you can only get them at petsmart but they are quiet and efficient in my opinion (plus they have a clear canister with removable media bin so it is easier to work with).
Old 09-03-2004, 12:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmmm. i havent had any problems with my fluval 404...
Old 09-03-2004, 01:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I def heard that last gen Fluvals were borderline garbage with leaking probs and other things. The 404 I haven't heard anything too bad about but someone recommened the Proquatics to me and I went with that.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have the latest version of the 404 and mine is noisey and spits tons of air bubbles.

Tried all the tricks I have read and no luck.
Kinda used to it at this point.

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 01:53 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to nyghtone Send a message via AIM to nyghtone Send a message via MSN to nyghtone Send a message via Yahoo to nyghtone
I would actually recommend the Magnum 350 canister filter, I "had" one and now I have a fluval POS and wish everyday that I still had the magnum, it was a MUCH better filter, you can order one online for less than a 100 bucks too.

I will NEVER buy another fluval product again, at least not for a very long time

HTH, Joshua...

www.nyghtone.com
nyghtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I posted a question about my Fluval 404 as well. Mine sucks air and discharges micro-bubbles and I have been unable to resolve it. I will not buy another Fluval.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have been using a Fluval 404 for over a year now and I love the thing! I have very little trouble with noise, erratic operation or micro-bubbles. My main complaint is that it is a pain in the behind to prime sometimes and if you get water in the filter then you can have trouble with bubbles. Here is how I prime it:

1. After cleaning I reasseble it and fill the canister with water.
2. I put the top on and then fill with more water through the intake valves.
3. Place under the aquarium and clamp the in/out lines in place, while CLOSED!
4. I can never get the thing to prime using the priming pump so I the take the intake hose and a pitcher of water and manually fill the intake. I then quickly dunk the end of the intake back into the tank to avoid losing the water and the siphon.
5. Open the valves, if the siphon didnt take I try again.

I usually do not have any trouble with bubbles beyond a few minutes of spurting sometimes. I sit here nad watch it smoothly move my water around in my 55. I am thinking of getting another for another tank of mine.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
I have a Magnum 305 and I stopped using it because I thought it was too loud.

Tags
fluval, noise, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com