Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-28-2004, 05:58 PM   #1
Fluval 404 priming

I have experienced a major hassle trying to re-prime after having done a media change and hearing a lot of noise that sounded like air in the system. The service tech at Hagen said it's best to re-attach the canister empty of water, then use the self-primer.

I don't know if the self-primer has somehow broken down, but I can't get the canister to fill.

Any ideas? There is now no water in my intake, and I have to somehow create suction into the canister. Should I try filling it entirely with water, then use the self-primer? Or does it sound like the self-primer needs replacement?

Old 05-28-2004, 07:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Depends how old and worn out it is..

I find you usually have to pump the primer like a madman even with brand new fluvals. Either fill it first or keep pumping till a lot of water has been sucked in. Then switch it on and give it a few more pumps every few seconds until it starts going by itself. It can take a while and it feels like it's not working so just be patient and keep at it.

My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
hold the ccanister upside down or tilted. Then straighten it and let some of the air out and let it pump a sec then repeat until you can have it up right and no air.Also be **** sure you get the hoses right.One stoned I mean "stoned" nite I was stumped for a good 1/2 hr like **** this thing wont prime.good luck
kidkameleon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:22 PM   #4
How long can I let it run dry, while tilting it and pumping the primer, etc.? The manual says not to ever let it run dry.

I can't believe it's this difficult.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry, but IME, fluval filters just didn't work. They didn't get everything and they were noisy, at least the one that i had.
Sharks. The most amazing creature ever.
duaumun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 10:06 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
mine isn;t load at all I can;t even here it really. You can;t let it run dry it wont jsut magically prime.You need to do what I said above.Also you are filling it full of water to start with right?If not do that also.
kidkameleon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 12:37 PM   #7

I got it going, finally, after filling the canister to the max, then using the self-primer like heck.

Great ideas on filling the intake tube...will keep that in mind if ever needed.

Amazing to me that Hagen tech said it's best to have the canister totally empty when reconnecting and using self-primer.

Still noisy, though, even after tilting every which way. I hadn't had any noise problems, including a few media changes and re-starts, until this last time.

Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2004, 05:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Did you switch off the canister?
A small instruction been left out in the manual....

After cleaning the filter, you need to switch off the power during the priming. Only switch on the power again after the canister is full (after the canister stop sucking in more water). The priming will not work if the power is on.,

I faced the same problem when i got my 304. Now everything works great.

vega is offline   Reply With Quote

fluval, rim, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com