fluval 404 shooting air bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefRaff

Aquarium Advice Addict
anyone know why my fluval would keep shooting air out? I have the output attached to a spraybar, and the intake is compleatly submerged. I just can't understand where or how it's generating all this air from.

what can i do?

If you manage to fix it then kudos to you. I've been trying for the last month and must have gone through dozens of different tips and suggestions to absolutely no avail. I just gave up and removed it today and already my blood pressure feels lower :roll:

when i got my 404 it also shoot out a lot of air bubbles, but you just have to try to shake the canister to get all the air out of it and it should stop shooting out bubbles, and also you need to make sure your water outlet is under the water level to avoid air bubbles

well I finaly started shaking and banging the unit on the floor a little, well, allot, and got tons of air out of the unit. now it seems to work great. Just thought I'd let you know atari. Incase you wanted to give it another go.

Thanks! Like I said I tried pretty much everything already so I think I'll just let it sit in the garage for a while and contemplate what a bad canister it's been.

rocking it from side to side, all the way to the floor, will help to insure all air pockets are gone. The filters themselves are great. When doing maintenance, be sure to fill the cannister to overflowing, allowing time for the sponges to soak up water before putting the lid on. This also helps to make sure no air is trapped.

my magnum 350 canister started doing that after 3 months of worry free operation.

short bursts of tiny microbubbles every two hours or so. Is that what you guys are getting?

I have a 404 and have the same problem. Aside from rocking it, tilt it to one side & hold it for a while. On the 404, there is a primer (little pump) next to the intake/outlet assembly. Pull it out and push it in several times. I creates a vacuum inside the pump. Not only is it used to prime the pump & get it started, I've had luck getting trapped air out of the filter as well.

In the fluval X04 series canister filter,if the water inlet is submerge, the only air intake is the priming device (if all air pocket in the canister is release). Due to wear and tear the priming "stick" will loose and result air been suck via the priming stick's hole. Apply some Vaseline around the priming "stick" will help.

The other reason the bubble form is due to the high pressure during the water intake and the low pressure in the canister outlet. As result, air slowly accumulate in a pocket and is release every 1-2 hours when the air pocket reach certain volume.

As there is very little you can do on the dissolve air in the water, just make sure there is as little as possible air pocket trap in from canister to water outlet.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom