Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2005, 11:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to markh30
Flying polyp

I went through the process of adding live rock to my aquarium. I have three powerheads running which produce a medium water flow. I'm ready to start adding items to the aquarium such as coral, polyps, etc. I went to my lfs and picked out some kind of polyp. It's a small rubbery looking thing with about 5 arms sticking. Anyway, when I put the polyp on top of the live rock, the waterflow literally took the polyp and knocked it off the rock. It then started rolling on the floor of the aquarium. No matter what I did, the polyp would not stand still. Do these things eventually latch on to something? Maybe it doesn't like waterflow at all?

Old 02-08-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use CA glue and glue ot to a rock. Would help if you can get a better ID on the Polyp too...

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you could use wedding veil to hold it in place until it attaches. I've also cut up the mesh bags that onions come in (be sure to wash it well) Just drape the mesh over the coral and use a couple of rubber bands to hold the mesh in place. Hope this helps.
140#s Live Rock from LiveRocks.com
Frogspawn, Hammer, Zoos, Leather Frag, and Xenia and Green Star Polyp frags from fishfreek and Alarmguy66, Thanks!
Member of the Unofficial A-Team
bound_for_obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The wedding veil works good with mushrooms... The gluing is more for small polyps...

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
Old 02-08-2005, 01:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

They all seem like good ideas. I've never heard of calcium glue. I actually giggled when I read that. Any idea where you can buy that?
Old 02-08-2005, 01:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Heh, its not calcium glue, is cyanoacrylate glue (CA for short). Cyanoacrylate glue is basically your standard household superglue, just make sure the glue you get is just cyanoacrylate and does not have other additives in it.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
Old 02-09-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm curious.. How do you use the CA to glue the polyp to the rock? Can this be done under water?

Tags
fly, polyp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com