Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2004, 07:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

FO lighting question

Now that I finally have my tank (75 gal) I am putting together a checklist of equipment that I plan on using in my fish only setup. I already have 115 lbs. of base rock.

For lighting, I am going to be using the standard florescent strip light that came with the tank. There was not a bulb included but since it was used, I would probably have wanted a new one anyway. My question is since this is fish only, do I just want to get a standard daylight type 40 watt or should I look at a 50/50 type bulb and if so, what would be the reasoning?

BTW, as I get more experience and look into starting a reef, I will probably go with CF later.

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 08:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For just fish, any kind of lighting will do. You just want to be able to see whats in your tank. A 50/50 will probably be a little dimmer than standard daylight, but the blue tones might bring out a little more color.

Old 06-10-2004, 10:36 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
If you can, I would add another strip light and run one actinic and one 10k. The tank will look a lot better with this lighting and you'll get some coraline growth as long as you keep alk and calcium levels up. I maintain a 75g for a lady with this same setup and, as amazing as it seems, I have to scrape coraline off the glass every time I go over there...all her rock is covered in deep purple. You'll have to add some decent LR to get it started though. If this is not an option, I'd go with the 50/50 for better color rendition.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, rather than spend additional money on NO lighting, I would rather get by with a single 50/50 for now and then get the PC a little later. For about $30 more than I would spend on an additional NO strip, I could get a 2 bulb PC.

Don't forget to check AA Sponsors first.

www.macna2006.com
saberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com