food for clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youpey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 true percula clown fish. I have been feeding it New Life spectrum marine fish formula, and sometimes frozen brine shrimp. I know the shrimp has no nutritional value from reading this site, but the food pellets i have sink to the bottom, and the clowns dont always go for it once it has hit the bottom. Plus it gets caught in my fake coral where the fish cant get it, and it leaves a small mark. What is good food for my 2 clowns that doesnt immediately sink to the bottom, and is healthy for them. Frozen or canned food is ok, what ever is best.

thanks for your help

I think most healthy clowns will eat just about anything you put in front of them. Frozen clams, mysis shrimp...feed them a good variety and include a food with some greens in it. I usually keep about 3 or 4 different kinds of frozen food on hand and alternate from feeding to feeding.

My percs also don't touch the pelletes. I feed them Ocean Nutrition flake food. They love the green. I supplement with frozen brine and once a week I feed the whole tank bio-sea plankton mostly for the corals...and it's kinda expensive but the clowns and other fish go nuts for it. :D

My clown eats flakes to Formula 1 frozen food, plus brine shrimp for a treat.

My question, how do you feed the fish greens? I have heard some people wilt lettuce leaves slightly and clip them to the side of the tank. Is this the best way?

Wilting the leaves and clipping to the side is how I've done it in the past. You can buy some seaweed food products but I've not tried them.

I purchased the mysis shrimp, but my clowns didnt eat it. I scooped most of it out. anything else i can try

I thought brine shrimp was one of the most nutritional things you could feed???

I got my false percula two weeks ago. He also seems to eat just about anything I put in the tank: OSI flakes, frozen Marine Cuisine, freeze dried brine shrimp, Kent Chroma Xtreme pellets.

About the only problem I have with feeding is getting the food small enough for a tiny mouth. I have to smash the pellets before putting them in the tank. I soak my freeze dried brine shrimp in Kent Zoe before feeding.

possum said:
I thought brine shrimp was one of the most nutritional things you could feed???
youpey said:
i have heard here it was worthless
Completely void of any nutrition really. It is aptly named the potato chip of fish foods.

As leafyseadragon suggested, properly fortified marine preparations are best and should not be too large for them to eat.

Cheers
Steve

My clowns wouldn't touch the mysis shrimp I put in the tank the first time. But after the second time, they have gone nuts for em ever since. Try cutting up the cubes into even smaller pieces and letting one of the pieces defrost wit some tank water. Then add a little bit at a time so you don't have a huge mess if they don't eat it. After a couple of trys they might love it...if not, then I would toss it. I only have 2 clowns in my tank right now so I don't throw in a whole cube, I always cut them in threes and serve 1 part per feeding, if it doesn't seem like enough, I toss in a little flake :wink:

Back
Top Bottom