Food for fish and corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daney90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am feeding my fish and corals frozen food once a week with a mixture of bloodworm, brine and mysis from big als. However, I find that big als frozen food doesnt really have much meat in each cube. There is more water than the mysis itself. I'm thinking of changing other brands. What other brand of of frozen food do you guys recommend? Or should I be better off making my food for the fish and corals? Do I need to buy spirulina?

As for dry foods I feed my fish NLS pellets and omega one flakes and nori. Do I need to buy cyclopeeze, phytoplan or zoo plan for more variety or I'm good?

thanks
DD

I make my own. It's cheaper and I know exactly what's in it. Four about 15-20 bucks, you can make enough for a year.
You can get creative and change your recipe each time you make it, and it will never stink like that stuff at the LFS does.
Here is an old thread with some step by steps-
RenegadeReefers.org • Information

I did the same thing and the fish love it. Very easy to do. The only thing I will change on the next batch is how long I mash it for. I find it to be a little on the small side and I would like it to be a bit chunkier next time.

I make my own. It's cheaper and I know exactly what's in it. Four about 15-20 bucks, you can make enough for a year.
You can get creative and change your recipe each time you make it, and it will never stink like that stuff at the LFS does.
Here is an old thread with some step by steps-
RenegadeReefers.org • Information

Mr X I would like to try doing this what kind of good is exactly in the picture besides the shrimp and where do you get the special formula mixtures in the package?

Thanks for your help.

I've skipped the formula A and B on future batches. I simply add a little bit of everything I can find at the supermarket. I've learned to stay away from the very fatty fish though. I added a little salmon one time and steel head trout another time and I found the oils dirty up the tank pretty quickly. stick with the white meat fish.
Some grind up Nori in their recipes and some folks add a touch of garlic as well.
I also like to add a bar of Cyclo-peeze to my batches.
everything else is just what happens to be available and affordable on the day I'm at the market.
Yes, it's trial and error with the consistency, as too fine a mixture will not be ideal, and a batch with large chunks won't work either. I tend to use a feeding syringe and I hate it when it gets clogged up with a piece of squid or something.
Plus, you don't want to be feeding your LPS giant chunks of food either.

I use a steak injector. Lol I didn't put any fish in mine. I used scallop, shrimp, mysis, cyclops, garlic guard, nori. It made enough to last me months to for very cheap. Next batch I will change it up a bit.

Do you thaw out enough for just a day ? I have people tell me you can't keep it in the fridge for more then a day. Where do you get the cyclopeeze from? Great thread thanks for all the help this will for sure save me some money. Do you feed like 2 to 3 times a week?

Do you thaw out enough for just a day ? I have people tell me you can't keep it in the fridge for more then a day. Where do you get the cyclopeeze from? Great thread thanks for all the help this will for sure save me some money. Do you feed like 2 to 3 times a week?

Good question. :) I don't have cyclopeeze at the moment too and im not sure if they sell that at big als because I always go there almost every week and i haven't seen one.

I bought a squid, shrimp and some sliced fish. Also bought a mussels in a package. Should I add this too? It doesn't say its partly cook.

Cyclo-peeze comes frozen, or in a dry form. I prefer the frozen, but in a pinch I have used the freeze dried version. Did you look in the frozen food section of the LFS?
Sure you can add mussels. I would rinse everything well just to make sure they aren't sprayed with any preservatives. Did you read through the entire thread I posted a link to? The one guy Rod mentioned Trylophosphate (and it seemed I was pretty hard on him...maybe we got into an argument prior....hmm...mildly embarrassing). Anyway, the idea is to use fresh ingredients and know exactly what's going in your tank.

Mr X, so are you saying that seafood with tripolyphosphate will not be harmful to livestock that eat it? I just bought a pack of frozen scallops to feed my anemone. The ingredients list tripolyphosphate on it? Is this Okay for the nem or not? Fed a piece yesterday and havent seen an adverse effect yet. Was reading the following forum thread and got worried.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f326/help-with-anemone-please-152568.html

I have been feeding my fish and anemones my home-made food since '08 and have seen no ill effects. All I can tell you is it couldn't hurt to rinse it before tossing it in the food processor.

Here it is! homemade food for fish and corals..

The ingredients that i used are
Scallops
Sliced white fish
Squid
Shrimps
Algae sheets
And garlic extract

image-512609406.jpg

From that little ingredients I made
image-3029655574.jpg

Leave comments and suggestions what i can do better next time ;)

Thanks to Doug's suggestion a couple of years back I too have been making my own fish food,...the only thing I do slightly different is to add a little " zoa" for a little extra vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom