Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2014, 03:28 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

It seems that there is a wrong notion on where the phosphate really comes from in our tank. It is not only from the food we feed our fish but anything that we put in our tank such as water, salt mix, filter media and so on. When food are consumed by fish the phosphate does not disappear. Whatever the amount of phosphate in the food regardless whether they are consumed or not the same amount stays in your tank until they are absorbed by algae or filter media such as phosguard. When we talk about excess nutrients it does not only mean phosphates or nitrates but any dissolved solids. You can have excess uneaten food but the skimmer takes care of removing those unwanted stuff that can turn into nitrates. Your CUCS and beneficial bacteria also need those leftovers. The following link may help you understand more about phosphate.

Phosphates in Your Saltwater Aquarium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Food is food, it's how we feed

Thank you but I think I have my poor mind around it. But I doubt I'll just start dumping food into my tank because there is no efficient way to feed in your opinion. The skimmer gets it all? You have a heck of a skimmer. I usually agree with you Jeff, but don't like the lecturing attitude much. I asked a question. Thank you for your opinion.

To refute part of your comment, phosphates and nitrates are only absorbed by a living organism, no matter the organism, thru cellular growth. Otherwise you must use a chemical binding agent or large water exchanges. Takes roughly 16 parts nitrate per one part phosphate to build a cell. This varies. As a fish grows, those cells capture nitrates and phosphates to produce flesh. Same with algae. So the idea that phosphates are not absorbed by living creatures flies in the face of algae scrubbing and the use of biological materials to remove phosphate.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-04-2014, 11:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Long day in the emergency management world. Back to fish soon.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:22 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

This forum is about helping one another and share information. I don't mean to underestimate anyone's knowledge of the subject but my response is in general and not intended for a single person. Isn't lecturing a form of advice?

Old 08-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
This forum is about helping one another and share information. I don't mean to underestimate anyone's knowledge of the subject but my response is in general and not intended for a single person. Isn't lecturing a form of advice?

Not to take sides...
It depends on the lecture. You can lecture false information, and not be giving advice, simply sounding dumb. You can lecture a kid about doing something wrong, but that's called discipline.
Either way both your information is correct, to an amount like almost anything in the world.

I saw this more as a conversation on how you can minimize phosphate input through food, not phosphate in general.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Yes, that's accurate. We all agree that phosphate is inevitable. No matter the food source, but some foods are lower in phosphate and not wasting food also reduces them. I don't run a big CUC and the vast majority of my corals don't eat the floating food, so I concentrate on getting the food into the fish.

When typing in responses, it is easy to either misinterpret a persons quote to be judgmental, or to just rub the wrong way. Especially me as I have a pretty high pressure job.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree that the amount of phosphate on different food varies but I don't agree that when food is consumed by fish all the phosphates on that food is gone or completely absorbed 100% by fish. I believe most of it is excreted back to the tank by their poops. If what you feed has already negligible phosphate then what you have to worry about is over feeding that may cause high nitrate (that is if your skimmer is overwhelmed).

Old 08-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I also agree that only a small percentage is captured by the fish, but algae is a different matter. That's why I have used a ATS for a long time. Algae is the best phosphate absorber there is IMO. Poor Lake Erie is a good example of that right now. Too bad they can't harvest it and use it for biofuel.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/algae-fuel.html

Old 08-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #19
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Poor Lake Erie is a good example of that right now. Too bad they can't harvest it and use it for biofuel.
I'm just south of my beloved eel filled lake. I can get a bunch of strainers and nets.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

If not for its ugliness algae should take credit as an efficient phosphate remover. I leave them alone in my sump.

Tags
feed, food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com