Fooey! Office too hot for my new nano!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ambient temp is 79-80 degrees in here. Tank temp with no lights get to 82 in my little 3g tank.

Set it up last week Thu. One rock (@ 3 lbs), sand, & water from my main. One emerald crab, 2 hermits and a snail. Today the one hermit I see doesn't move much at all. The snail is on the glass and the crab came out when I put 3 (that's right, 3) food pellets in. Haven't feed since Thursday.

Ammonia @ .50, 'trate about 10. Of course, didn't happen to have new SW to change with today. Gonna have to wait until tomorrow. I'll betcha some of those small organisms have died off in the temperature and causing this. Anyway, most likely will have to find a new home for the tank.

We move into a new building in January. My space will be near an eastern window, so I guess I'll have to give up the idea of a tank at work all together.

Fudge!!

Also can you possibly set it up on some sort of stand that has a big hole in the bottom. I am thinking, the more surface area you have, the more heat dissipation. I imagine the bottom will hold the heat as well. Maybe even two fans, one for the surface and one for aiming at the tank....?

Man, I would consider that inhumane working conditions, I would croak in an 80 degree office.

What are the temps with the lights on? My home setup hovers at 79-82 with no issues.

I have always wanted to try a work nano but don't think mgmt would like it. I agree with Hara though, kind of warm working temps.

I left the lights on today and it stayed at 82 in the tank. Was at 82 when I got in this morning with no lights.

We're in a WWII building and are moving into a new one weekly. 4,000 folks or so. My turn on 1/27. I got that light issue there with my desk at an east window.

One thing, the snail, 1 hermit, and emerald seemed OK.

I'll do a 30% water change in the a.m. and see what happens. I'll keep the inverts in there and see if I can stabilize the water readings for a week or so before I decide whether to bail or not.

They can do 82, huh?

Yeah, I have read that 82 is ok, just as long as you don't get any swings for 3+degrees.

I actually prefer 80-82. Don't know why but that is what my tanks have always been at. It is hard for me to get lower than that in the summer anyway.

Consistency and minimal swings are the key.

At 76 degrees this morning. :? Snail, hermit and emerald green all seem OK.

Did a 33% PWC this morning. Ammonia almost non existent. :lol:

I won't be back in the offcie 'til Tuesday. We'll see what happens. This office, this old office in this old building does what it does. Outdoor temps in the 70s for the past 3 or 4 of days. Back down in the 50s today.

I'm gonna hold on a bit longer and see what happens.

I know one thing I gotta get used to is not sticking my fingers in there too much. Much more chance for contamination than in my 155g!

Back
Top Bottom