For those that have added refugiums to combat nitrates/PO4:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilster1

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is a general question and I am really only looking for general answers..

How long after you added your `fuge did you begin to see a decline in nitrates/phosphates?

For sake of comparison I have a 55g and sump, total volume is 65g. I just added a 18" cpr aquafuge with about 2.5" of aragonite sand in the bottom, two small chunks of LR and a fistful of grape caulerpa lit 24/7 by a 18watt 6500k pc desk lamp. I've had the `fuge up since Friday and I just haven't seen a drop in nitrates.. still around 19ppm. The caulerpa seems to be growing now just in the past day.

am I just being impatient?

Probably won't see anything in that short period of time I'm guessing. Also that fuge is only about 3g of water - about 4.6% of your total water volume. What are your 'trate reading anyway?

Don't wet/drys need to be mantained somehow to keep 'trates down? Bio ball issues or seomthing. I never had one, but just thought I might have heard that somewhere.

nitrates have always been below 20.. usually between 15 and 20. I change out the felt pad I use in the drip tray each week so I expect some fluctuation there. I've removed all sponges.. removing my "polishing block" made the biggest difference.. near 0 for a few days. I "washed" my bioballs with saltwater once and it didn't seem to make much of a difference.. little to no detritus in there.

I will say that I need a better skimmer setup - that will be rectified in a couple of weeks with a aquac urchin. My coralife super skimmer (65) seems way underpowered for that much water volume.

Might go with a Berlin or something more beefy. I've always had a low opinion of the AquaC skimmers.

I have a coralife super skimmer now, not a aquac... it does work, it just doesn't seem big enough for my application.

Back
Top Bottom